View Single Post
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
...there's two outs, R1 on the tag, and the batter-runner on the force, and R2 is safe because the force was lost before he was tagged.
The U-Trip ruling must be different than that or there would be no reason for your post! I can't imagine why they would have any ruling other than exactly what you have- two outs on the play and R2 safe at first base.

There might be some miscommunication somewhere, which can happen with a somewhat complicated play. Even your brief description had me scratching my head and re-reading the play- it says that F6 fielded the ball "close enough to tag" R1, but doesn't actually say he was tagged! Then you get to the end and it says "R1 was out on the tag", so you imply he was tagged and that changes the whole call if someone assumes he wasn't tagged reading the initial description.

Maybe the "official" USSSA ruling really is different- it wouldn't be the only strange rule in their rule book. If it is, then they are the "odd man out" in not just the softball, but also the baseball universe!