View Single Post
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 07:23am
Ref Ump Welsch

Routine Situation and Odd Ruling

Had this presented to me last night, and after the discussion, I was just dumbfounded at the ruling. Reason for my dumbfoundedness: we had a thread about this, from the ASA code, and apparently there's a huge difference in the baserunning rules between ASA and USSSA.

R1 on 2B, R2 on 1B, with no outs. Ball hit hard to F6, who is close enough to R1 to tag him while he's still standing on the bag. F6 does NOT touch 2B, but rather throws to 1B retiring the batter-runner while R2 is still on the bag. F3 then tags R2. How many outs do you have? (This actually came up in an USSSA slow-pitch game, so our local UIC called national to get a ruling)

From our previous thread, I had said there's two outs, R1 on the tag, and the batter-runner on the force, and R2 is safe because the force was lost before he was tagged. Before I tell you the ruling we got from the USSSA national office on this, I want to see what you all have to say. I'll wait till later today before I post the answer I got from our UIC during his phone call.