The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
ASA National Assignments

Okay, who's gotten their phone calls already, and where ya headed?
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 10:53am
SRW SRW is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Okay, who's gotten their phone calls already, and where ya headed?
Got my call last week. USA/ASA 18A in Vegas.
__________________
We see with our eyes. Fans and parents see with their hearts.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Got my call last week. USA/ASA 18A in Vegas.
Congrats, SRW!
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 746
congrats on where you are going Dave (NCASA)!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
congrats on where you are going Dave (NCASA)!
I never said where I was going...

But now that you mention it... I'm heading to Salem, VA for the Men's D/E Slow Pitch National.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 01:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,822
One I've been hoping for; probably my last big opportunity. Women's Major Fastpitch, Auburn, AL.
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 01:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Got my call last week. USA/ASA 18A in Vegas.
Nice. Congrats.
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 257
18A Western National in CO
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Live Free or Die Country
Posts: 175
Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
One I've been hoping for; probably my last big opportunity. Women's Major Fastpitch, Auburn, AL.
Looking forward to meeting/working with you.
__________________
Wade Ireland
Softball Umpire
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sierra Nevada Mtns
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
One I've been hoping for; probably my last big opportunity. Women's Major Fastpitch, Auburn, AL.
Well gosh steve.. guess you'll have to settle for what? only 20 majors?
__________________
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Well gosh steve.. guess you'll have to settle for what? only 20 majors?
I have had a better than fair number of ASA Nationals. It is a combination of living in a hotbed of ASA softball where a lot of ASA Nationals are hosted, being qualified to call at that level, and having always made my availability a priority (have been assigned as late as at the umpire picture prior to opening ceremonies, because I was there, qualified, had uniforms and equipment, and had voluntarily sat thru the umpire clinic to help the umpire coordinator). Last minute, I have jumped in my car and driven 5 hours that day!! So yes, a lot, but because I can and will.

At the same time, I have been passed over for other opportunities that I believed I have earned and been promised. Can't tell you how many times I have been told that I have already been there, so let someone else have it. The number of tournaments where less qualified umpires have worked on Sunday, because "you have been there". I have made a career of helping train, evaluate, and promote others (anyone from Georgia can honestly tell you that); so I just don't and won't apologize for also wanting to call the very best.

Any player that doesn't want to play when the team makes the championship isn't worth having on the team. My competitive spirit still drives me. At my age (56), this is likely my last, I don't feel even a moment's regret that I got this pick.

CelticNHBlue (Wade Ireland, not the Wade from DJV), I look forward to it. Have worked with Glenn several times over the years, and know he is one of your chief supporters; you have also, I believe, worked with several of my top people in the past (Rob Lannom and Jeff Schneider).
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sierra Nevada Mtns
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I have had a better than fair number of ASA Nationals. It is a combination of living in a hotbed of ASA softball where a lot of ASA Nationals are hosted, being qualified to call at that level, and having always made my availability a priority (have been assigned as late as at the umpire picture prior to opening ceremonies, because I was there, qualified, had uniforms and equipment, and had voluntarily sat thru the umpire clinic to help the umpire coordinator). Last minute, I have jumped in my car and driven 5 hours that day!! So yes, a lot, but because I can and will.

At the same time, I have been passed over for other opportunities that I believed I have earned and been promised. Can't tell you how many times I have been told that I have already been there, so let someone else have it. The number of tournaments where less qualified umpires have worked on Sunday, because "you have been there". I have made a career of helping train, evaluate, and promote others (anyone from Georgia can honestly tell you that); so I just don't and won't apologize for also wanting to call the very best.
I feel you bro! Its politics baby, all politics!
__________________
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
One I've been hoping for; probably my last big opportunity. Women's Major Fastpitch, Auburn, AL.
Good place to do a tourney, hosts are great and the site is easy to get to.
Who else is going with you there?
__________________
ISF
ASA/USA Elite
NIF
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61 View Post
Good place to do a tourney, hosts are great and the site is easy to get to.
Who else is going with you there?
Who the hell woke you up?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Who the hell woke you up?
I've been around, jealous of you guys working games.
I still hope to get this aneurysm fixed one day so I can get back to calling games.

So, has your a** thawed out yet up there in the lost NE?
I had a nice day today, soaking up the sun and being glad I never see the snow and cold you do.
__________________
ISF
ASA/USA Elite
NIF

Last edited by scottk_61; Sun Apr 12, 2009 at 09:03pm. Reason: content
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Assignments MichaelVA2000 Softball 22 Wed Aug 06, 2008 05:31am
ASA National assignments BuggBob Softball 41 Fri Jun 13, 2008 07:42am
Assignments Terrapins Fan Basketball 36 Mon Nov 19, 2007 07:05pm
MLB Crew Assignments kraine27 Baseball 3 Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:15pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1