View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Well gosh steve.. guess you'll have to settle for what? only 20 majors?
I have had a better than fair number of ASA Nationals. It is a combination of living in a hotbed of ASA softball where a lot of ASA Nationals are hosted, being qualified to call at that level, and having always made my availability a priority (have been assigned as late as at the umpire picture prior to opening ceremonies, because I was there, qualified, had uniforms and equipment, and had voluntarily sat thru the umpire clinic to help the umpire coordinator). Last minute, I have jumped in my car and driven 5 hours that day!! So yes, a lot, but because I can and will.

At the same time, I have been passed over for other opportunities that I believed I have earned and been promised. Can't tell you how many times I have been told that I have already been there, so let someone else have it. The number of tournaments where less qualified umpires have worked on Sunday, because "you have been there". I have made a career of helping train, evaluate, and promote others (anyone from Georgia can honestly tell you that); so I just don't and won't apologize for also wanting to call the very best.

Any player that doesn't want to play when the team makes the championship isn't worth having on the team. My competitive spirit still drives me. At my age (56), this is likely my last, I don't feel even a moment's regret that I got this pick.

CelticNHBlue (Wade Ireland, not the Wade from DJV), I look forward to it. Have worked with Glenn several times over the years, and know he is one of your chief supporters; you have also, I believe, worked with several of my top people in the past (Rob Lannom and Jeff Schneider).