The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Well, people going to a national...or any kind of assignment away from home...should generally be well versed in current mechanics and protocol, things like that. Just a friendly reminder to folks to read/study that thing one more time...no matter how well you know it...give yourself a refresher.

It's always frustrating to see "secret squirrel" signals, to hear pregame talks deal with deviating from mechanics prescribed in the manual, to have folks not know who watches for runners leaving early or who has tag up responsibilities in certain situations.
Thanks. I agree. It has been a long time since I heard secret squirrel. Used to watch that cartoon.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Thanks. I agree. It has been a long time since I heard secret squirrel. Used to watch that cartoon.
That was a cartoon!!!!
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 07:26am
In Memoriam

Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Well, people going to a national...or any kind of assignment away from home...should generally be well versed in current mechanics and protocol, things like that. Just a friendly reminder to folks to read/study that thing one more time...no matter how well you know it...give yourself a refresher.

It's always frustrating to see "secret squirrel" signals, to hear pregame talks deal with deviating from mechanics prescribed in the manual, to have folks not know who watches for runners leaving early or who has tag up responsibilities in certain situations.
I know what you mean. Last year, at a SP National, I saw a BU in C.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

You know I agree too. You have to spend time and get ready. Get to the book, hand outs, power points, and other ASA training materials. You get taught one way by one person and one way by another person, so you need a foundation of what ASA has written. You have to measure the feed back you get from umpires and measure that against ASA. Especially NCAA guys, who seem like they know what they are doing, and they do - but they teach wrong by ASA standards. I recommend watching the video a couple of times this week as well. I think whats saved me this year was working so much with both of our umpires since they went to the FP camp OKC. Its really helped my game. At nats, theres only one standard - ASA. Save the rest for later.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Tue Jul 21, 2009 at 09:35am.