The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Assignments

Situation: National Tournament

Through scheduling and results of other teams being eliminated during bracket play, an umpire is assigned to a game where this umpire had ejected the head coach the previous day for dropping the F bomb and poor sportsmanship.

Question: For UIC’s and Assignor’s

If the ejected coach or the assistant coach approached you insisting that the umpire who did the ejecting not be allowed to umpire any more of their games during the tournament, what would your response be?
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000

Through scheduling and results of other teams being eliminated during bracket play, an umpire is assigned to a game where this umpire had ejected the head coach the previous day for dropping the F bomb and poor sportsmanship.

If the ejected coach or the assistant coach approached you insisting that the umpire who did the ejecting not be allowed to umpire any more of their games during the tournament, what would your response be?
I no longer uic tournaments nor assign games, however, when I did........
You can bet your bottom dollar that the ejecting umpire would see that coach at least one more time.

Edited to add -
I expected and demanded that all folks working for me approach each game as a new game with unknown participants.
If an umpire could not - and there were a few - I made a swap.

Last edited by Steve M; Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 03:06pm.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There is no standard answer to this question.

There are some "national" tournaments that are basically private (Armed Forces, for one) where the reps do have some input in umpire assignments if it is a serious issue at hand.

AFA other Nationals, it would depend on the situation. Would I move an umpire off a game solely because a team asked me to do so? Absolutely not. Would I move an umpire off a game under extenuating circumstances? Possibly.

You need to remember, at a National, the UIC may not be familiar with some of the umpires enough to have confidence in how the umpire may handle adversity on the field. It may depend on how the umpire handled the ejection. If the umpire was argumentative and became hotly engaged with the coach during an argument, it may not be a good idea to put that umpire back on the same field. Or maybe the UIC may have thought the umpire was a little quick to pull the trigger or acted as if the issue were personal when it was not. Of course, these would be things the UIC would have to observe to determine if it is noteworthy.

However, if the UIC has enough confidence in an umpire to work the next game as if nothing ever happened in the first game, s/he may intentionally put that umpire on the game which demonstrates his confidence in the umpire to the teams and his ability to control the game and insure it will not become something other than a good, competitive ball game.

I have never changed a schedule to accommodate a team's request. I have moved certain umpires to games which I have felt a need to add a bit more muscle and confidence to the environment.

Something else that needs to be remembered at a national is that the UIC is serving ASA and the tournament. While supporting and instructing the crews, the UIC is not there to accommodate the umpires and make sure their feelings are not hurt. The UIC must make the decision that is best for the tournament. It isn't as easy a job as some think.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

I do both; assign, and UIC.

I would NOT go out of my way to intentionally assign that umpire that umpire to that team again. I would have made a reasonable effort to see if there was an inherent conflict, and, if I could, would have made my own move BEFORE the schedule was posted to avoid any unnecessary drama.

If the schedule is posted, I would approach the umpire involved, and read his reaction. We gain nothing if he sees a conflict, so a field swap would be in order if 1) he sees a conflict, or 2) if I think he acts like he is unable to start the new game as a new game on a new day.

What I WON'T do is let the coach tell me what umpire is acceptable; the team can play the game with the umpires I put on the field, or can forfeit. Those are the only choices.

And, I don't (and won't) work for a TD that would try to TELL me how to assign umpires. I would allow the TD to give me input on the situation, but not an ultimatum. If one tried, he would have no umpires available for that field, or any other field.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

How about this....

"I'll tell you what, coach; Since your shortstop had three errors last game,
I insist that you keep her on the bench for this game!"

No single coach would dictate to me who works what games. If this did happen, I would probably be more likely to assign that particular umpire to his game.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I have work in tournaments where I have gone to the UIC and requested a change because of one of the teams andI have had UICs come to me and ask me to change fields. This was acceptable to me.

I have had coaches complain about something and been told that 'for the good of the tourney" I was being changed. I left and have never worked to that TD/UIC again.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure if Michael cares, but the premise of the question was National Tournaments.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sure coach, as long as you don't coach the rest of the tournament Sounds like the umpire was just taking care of business.

I assist our state deputy UIC and we've never had any problems like this in 'state' tournaments. When I did my last national here there was one other local umpire besides myself. We were asked if we had any problems with umpiring the home team. Even though we could've done a great job, we both declined so there would be no perceived bias and avoid any potential conflict.

Speaking of tournaments, looks like there won't be a ASA men's masters 40 over FP this year. I just spoke with the person handling team registrations and there were only two...from the host city. I was really looking forward to doing another one. I'll probably get confirmation a little later.

Cheers!
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffin' Sgt
Speaking of tournaments, looks like there won't be a ASA men's masters 40 over FP this year. I just spoke with the person handling team registrations and there were only two...from the host city. I was really looking forward to doing another one. I'll probably get confirmation a little later.

Cheers!
You guys have so much SP, where do you find time for FP?
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Not sure if Michael cares, but the premise of the question was National Tournaments.
Yeah, but there are National Tournaments, and then there are National Tournaments. In an ASA/USA National, the coaches wouldn't even try to ask, I don't think. Even when Tyrone Davis (Batbusters) was the scourge of ASA 18 Gold, I don't believe he ever made that demand.

In a more regionalized, or territorial "National" (with lesser teams, and lesser coaching), the coaches might try it. IMO, the last thing they need to believe is that they have the ability or authority to make that demand. The UIC has that ability and authority, and needs to do what is best and appropriate for the integrity of the game.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Yeah, but there are National Tournaments, and then there are National Tournaments. In an ASA/USA National, the coaches wouldn't even try to ask, I don't think. Even when Tyrone Davis (Batbusters) was the scourge of ASA 18 Gold, I don't believe he ever made that demand.

In a more regionalized, or territorial "National" (with lesser teams, and lesser coaching), the coaches might try it. IMO, the last thing they need to believe is that they have the ability or authority to make that demand. The UIC has that ability and authority, and needs to do what is best and appropriate for the integrity of the game.
That's because 10.2 states that since they cannot request a change in umpires during a game must mean that they can prior to the game. Is that the way coaching logic works?
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Is that the way coaching logic works?
I wasn't aware there even was such a thing...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I wasn't aware there even was such a thing...
Coaching logic. If that is an oxymoron, which is the oxy and which is the moron?
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Yes!!
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

A UIC cannot honor that request ...