The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA National Assignments (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/52793-asa-national-assignments.html)

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:50am

ASA National Assignments

Okay, who's gotten their phone calls already, and where ya headed?

SRW Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 595161)
Okay, who's gotten their phone calls already, and where ya headed?

Got my call last week. USA/ASA 18A in Vegas. :D

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 595165)

Congrats, SRW!

ronald Fri Apr 10, 2009 08:43pm

congrats on where you are going Dave (NCASA)!

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 595304)
congrats on where you are going Dave (NCASA)!

I never said where I was going... :)

But now that you mention it... I'm heading to Salem, VA for the Men's D/E Slow Pitch National.

AtlUmpSteve Sat Apr 11, 2009 01:08am

One I've been hoping for; probably my last big opportunity. Women's Major Fastpitch, Auburn, AL.

AtlUmpSteve Sat Apr 11, 2009 01:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 595165)

Nice. Congrats.

vcblue Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:53am

18A Western National in CO

CelticNHBlue Sat Apr 11, 2009 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 595314)
One I've been hoping for; probably my last big opportunity. Women's Major Fastpitch, Auburn, AL.

Looking forward to meeting/working with you.

wadeintothem Sat Apr 11, 2009 05:47pm

Quote:

Well gosh steve.. guess you'll have to settle for what? only 20 majors? :D

AtlUmpSteve Sat Apr 11, 2009 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 595402)
Well gosh steve.. guess you'll have to settle for what? only 20 majors? :D

I have had a better than fair number of ASA Nationals. It is a combination of living in a hotbed of ASA softball where a lot of ASA Nationals are hosted, being qualified to call at that level, and having always made my availability a priority (have been assigned as late as at the umpire picture prior to opening ceremonies, because I was there, qualified, had uniforms and equipment, and had voluntarily sat thru the umpire clinic to help the umpire coordinator). Last minute, I have jumped in my car and driven 5 hours that day!! So yes, a lot, but because I can and will.

At the same time, I have been passed over for other opportunities that I believed I have earned and been promised. Can't tell you how many times I have been told that I have already been there, so let someone else have it. The number of tournaments where less qualified umpires have worked on Sunday, because "you have been there". I have made a career of helping train, evaluate, and promote others (anyone from Georgia can honestly tell you that); so I just don't and won't apologize for also wanting to call the very best.

Any player that doesn't want to play when the team makes the championship isn't worth having on the team. My competitive spirit still drives me. At my age (56), this is likely my last, I don't feel even a moment's regret that I got this pick.

CelticNHBlue (Wade Ireland, not the Wade from DJV), I look forward to it. Have worked with Glenn several times over the years, and know he is one of your chief supporters; you have also, I believe, worked with several of my top people in the past (Rob Lannom and Jeff Schneider).

wadeintothem Sun Apr 12, 2009 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 595421)
I have had a better than fair number of ASA Nationals. It is a combination of living in a hotbed of ASA softball where a lot of ASA Nationals are hosted, being qualified to call at that level, and having always made my availability a priority (have been assigned as late as at the umpire picture prior to opening ceremonies, because I was there, qualified, had uniforms and equipment, and had voluntarily sat thru the umpire clinic to help the umpire coordinator). Last minute, I have jumped in my car and driven 5 hours that day!! So yes, a lot, but because I can and will.

At the same time, I have been passed over for other opportunities that I believed I have earned and been promised. Can't tell you how many times I have been told that I have already been there, so let someone else have it. The number of tournaments where less qualified umpires have worked on Sunday, because "you have been there". I have made a career of helping train, evaluate, and promote others (anyone from Georgia can honestly tell you that); so I just don't and won't apologize for also wanting to call the very best.

I feel you bro! Its politics baby, all politics! ;)

scottk_61 Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:18am

Quote:

Good place to do a tourney, hosts are great and the site is easy to get to.
Who else is going with you there?

IRISHMAFIA Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottk_61 (Post 595489)
Good place to do a tourney, hosts are great and the site is easy to get to.
Who else is going with you there?

Who the hell woke you up?
:D

scottk_61 Sun Apr 12, 2009 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 595494)
Who the hell woke you up?
:D

I've been around, jealous of you guys working games.
I still hope to get this aneurysm fixed one day so I can get back to calling games.

So, has your a** thawed out yet up there in the lost NE?:p
I had a nice day today, soaking up the sun and being glad I never see the snow and cold you do.:D