View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I have had a better than fair number of ASA Nationals. It is a combination of living in a hotbed of ASA softball where a lot of ASA Nationals are hosted, being qualified to call at that level, and having always made my availability a priority (have been assigned as late as at the umpire picture prior to opening ceremonies, because I was there, qualified, had uniforms and equipment, and had voluntarily sat thru the umpire clinic to help the umpire coordinator). Last minute, I have jumped in my car and driven 5 hours that day!! So yes, a lot, but because I can and will.

At the same time, I have been passed over for other opportunities that I believed I have earned and been promised. Can't tell you how many times I have been told that I have already been there, so let someone else have it. The number of tournaments where less qualified umpires have worked on Sunday, because "you have been there". I have made a career of helping train, evaluate, and promote others (anyone from Georgia can honestly tell you that); so I just don't and won't apologize for also wanting to call the very best.
I feel you bro! Its politics baby, all politics!