The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorman75
Yep, So in ANY other situation, I do not call her out, and I am SURE we are going to have a protest.
So you're admitting that you'd make the call, simply because you'd get away with it? What happens when you call it one game, and the very next game, you don't?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
So you're admitting that you'd make the call, simply because you'd get away with it? What happens when you call it one game, and the very next game, you don't?
Ya, but I found something else.

Figured I would look in the rule differences to see if there is anything. And there is, big time.

"Home run out of the park no
mention of offensive team
members touching the runner
before touching the plate"

"No rule"

So there is "No rule" Which I guess means you can not enforce anything. She is not out.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Figured I would look in the rule differences to see if there is anything. And there is, big time.

"No rule"

So there is "No rule" Which I guess means you can not enforce anything. She is not out.
Where did you find this? You do realize that this is just someone's interpretation and not an actual rule citation?

But back to my original question. Why would you be willing to change your rulings simply based on game situation? You're screwing the rest of us over by essentially "making it up" as you go.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Rule differences tables are not official.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"No rule"

No rule for "touching" refers to the made up myth call of assistance for other team members merely touching in celebration. It does not negate "assisting".
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
No rule for "touching" refers to the made up myth call of assistance for other team members merely touching in celebration. It does not negate "assisting".
Maybe merely congratulating a player physically assists them by giving them a morale boost?

Just kidding. I've never called anyone out for getting a high five or a congratulatory slap on the behind (so long as it was clear that was ALL it was for).

Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If this exact situation happens today, I call her out. Winning team has no grounds to protest a play that wins the game for them.
So knowing what you are doing is wrong you will do it anyway. I really like that kind of integrity from a brother umpire.

And sure the winning team has no grounds for a protest, but the losing team (defense) sure does. And they should win that protest.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Well, there are a number of rulings with which I disagree in principal, but they're there. Let's say I eject R1 for USC as she's coming home (for example, she yells "go f*** yourselves! We win!" to the other team). I have a problem with letting her score - I feel she should be out and ejected. Unfortunately, I'd have nothing backing me up to make this call other than principles (provided they have a sub available). But hey, dem's da breaks.

In 2002 casebook there is a play where a batter hits a high fly thinks it is an out and angrliy throws bat against fence. Ruling is USC and no homerun but an out.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald
Well, there are a number of rulings with which I disagree in principal, but they're there. Let's say I eject R1 for USC as she's coming home (for example, she yells "go f*** yourselves! We win!" to the other team). I have a problem with letting her score - I feel she should be out and ejected. Unfortunately, I'd have nothing backing me up to make this call other than principles (provided they have a sub available). But hey, dem's da breaks.

In 2002 casebook there is a play where a batter hits a high fly thinks it is an out and angrliy throws bat against fence. Ruling is USC and no homerun but an out.
That was six years ago under a different regime, back when "Henry said" was considered valid documentation for any interpretation or ruling.

I submitted a rule change a few years back that would support the "out" for USC, but it was rejected. Presently, there is nothing to support such a ruling. I wait until the end of the play to eject a player, if necessary.
Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
So knowing what you are doing is wrong you will do it anyway. I really like that kind of integrity from a brother umpire.

And sure the winning team has no grounds for a protest, but the losing team (defense) sure does. And they should win that protest.
You have never called a runner out, knowing they are safe? I have, and will.

What grounds does the losing team have to protest? They going to protest they lost by 3 not 2?

But they might be able to do it. The only thing that might stop them from legally protesting is that the game can not be picked up at the point of the protest since the winning run is good. So making any protest adding runs to a won game moot.
Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

By the way with the 8.5.H effect not having a home run as a dead ball. I feel it is not a dead ball under these ASA rules.

So I call the assisted runner on a HR out.

P.S. ASA has not answered this question. Meaning no response at all. Any one else send them a email?

Last edited by snorman75; Sat Jul 19, 2008 at 07:34pm.
Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have never called a runner out, knowing they are safe? I have, and will.

What grounds does the losing team have to protest? They going to protest they lost by 3 not 2?

But they might be able to do it. The only thing that might stop them from legally protesting is that the game can not be picked up at the point of the protest since the winning run is good. So making any protest adding runs to a won game moot.
Attitudes like this is where umpires get such a bad name. Screwing up a judgment call is one thing, but flat out admitting that you make calls because it "doesn't matter" is totally different.

Did you ever call baseball? If so, I think I saw you in this video.

Anyone else hear the soft melody played on a piano?

Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By the way with the 8.6.H effect not having a home run as a dead ball. I feel it is not a dead ball under these ASA rules.

So I call the assisted runner on a HR out.

P.S. ASA has not answered this question. Meaning no response at all. Any one else send them a email?
I hope you're referring to 8-5-H. 8-6-H is for an intentionally dropped ball.

Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hope you're referring to 8-5-H. 8-6-H is for an intentionally dropped ball.
No, does that not apply here? ya, my bad
Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Attitudes like this is where umpires get such a bad name. Screwing up a judgment call is one thing, but flat out admitting that you make calls because it "doesn't matter" is totally different.

Did you ever call baseball? If so, I think I saw you in this video.

Anyone else hear the soft melody played on a piano?
No, never said make I screwed up call because it does not matter. If anything the opposite. Team up 20+ runs and still stealing, any close play is going to be a out, it might not even be that close.

You do not change your strike zone when it is a blow out. If you say you do not adjust to the game situation, well I do not think you are being truthful with yourself.

In this situation, well my heart was never behind not calling her out every time. Truthfully, I would had called her out in the first inning, and welcomed a protest to put it to bed finally.

P.S. We have put it to bed in our Board, it is a out.

P.S.S I am talking playing more to the situation in kids and lower level teen games. Adults and U16 and up there really is not much gray area.

Last edited by snorman75; Sat Jul 19, 2008 at 07:49pm.