The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 04:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Assisted dunk

Don't know if this has been posted previously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrT7qC4wB0
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

TWEET! Technical foul on the dunker.

I saw the referee blow her whistle finally, what do you think she called? Do you think she had the guts and or knowledge to Tech that up?
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins
TWEET! Technical foul on the dunker.

I saw the referee blow her whistle finally, what do you think she called? Do you think she had the guts and or knowledge to Tech that up?
She appears very inexperienced, but it seems at least that she wants to cancel the basket.

There was a thread regarding "clean block" signal, some days ago; here's what can happen: the trail official made that signal and was late on the fast break.

Ciao
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

To be honest, I don't think I saw a 2nd referee either lol... I think it was a one-woman crew. And yes, she looked pretty lost.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins
To be honest, I don't think I saw a 2nd referee either lol... I think it was a one-woman crew. And yes, she looked pretty lost.
No, there was another official; you see her (?) when the fast break begins. Both start moving only when the ball is at the mid-court line.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 07:45pm
In Memoriam

1) Technical foul on the shooter for climbing on a teammate. NFHS rule 10-3-7(e).
2) Technical foul on the teammate for lifting another teammate. NFHS rule 10-3-7(e)
3) Another technical foul on the shooter for attempting to dunk a dead ball(ball was dead immediately on the "T"). NFHS rule 10-3-4.
4) Eject the shooter for 2 "T"s.

All covered under existing rules. That'll teach the l'il sh!ts to screw around.

PS-this is also known as the "MTD Sr. Rule".

It's true, it's true.....
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 08:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Also, did you notice the one ref gave the "tipped shot" signal on the initial shot?
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 08:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

This game was either during the summer or a local rec. league. You cannot expect officials at these levels of games to be the most competent. The officials were probably really new. BTW, it looks like at the very end of the tape the game was stopped. You cannot tell what was done and why.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Sheez, and now are we going to have to endure a full season of kids trying this since they've seen it on You-tube?

Yup, I think inexperienced or totally asleep would describe that ref. But her partner (who is lead before the fast break) is definitely even more clueless. Clearly someone at the table said something, so she finally blew her whistle. Hope she learns her lesson and never ignores this again!
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 10:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Sheez, and now are we going to have to endure a full season of kids trying this since they've seen it on You-tube?

Yup, I think inexperienced or totally asleep would describe that ref. But her partner (who is lead before the fast break) is definitely even more clueless. Clearly someone at the table said something, so she finally blew her whistle. Hope she learns her lesson and never ignores this again!
Juulie - maybe we'll see this during one of the three 7th grade boys rec games we're doing together on Sat, Dec. 16 at Fowler (schedules were sent out today). Be sure to wear your fishnets.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
I had to laugh when I saw this - I asked how to handle this exact situation for an intramural game I had a few years back. I think some of the kids that were involved would be rolling on the floor, laughing, if they saw this video - I think I'll try to get it to them. I had to explain the T's to them after they asked if they could do it in a game.

BTW, never went so far as to give a second T for dunking during a dead ball... Just the 1 per person for assisting or being assisted in gaining greater height.

I actually had 3 kids that would try to do this - one bent over on hands and knees, one standing with his rear against the kid on the floor, bent over at about a 45 degree angle (facing the hoop, but down), and the third would use the other two like a set of stairs. Hysterical... but not good for a real game.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

If you watch the video comments it answers some of the questions.

The kid said that the official counted the basket but said that if they did it again then it would be a technical foul for unsportsman like conduct and they would be ejected. He also goes on to say that the head official was a male but that it would be okay for a woman official to be as well.

The other video commentary was by a guy named bill snyder. It's funny (and sad) to hear him explain that there is no rule in the rule book that covers this and that all high school players are allowed to do this until a warning is given.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
If you watch the video comments it answers some of the questions.

The kid said that the official counted the basket but said that if they did it again then it would be a technical foul for unsportsman like conduct and they would be ejected. He also goes on to say that the head official was a male but that it would be okay for a woman official to be as well.

The other video commentary was by a guy named bill snyder. It's funny (and sad) to hear him explain that there is no rule in the rule book that covers this and that all high school players are allowed to do this until a warning is given.
Actually, that's a lie. As previously stated, NFHS 10-3-7(e) allows for a technical for both players.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkitch
Actually, that's a lie. As previously stated, NFHS 10-3-7(e) allows for a technical for both players.
Well I wouldn't call it a lie, it is ignorance of the rules. I know what the rule is I was just posting what the player said took place.

By the way, JR was stating that you COULD call 3 technicals per the rules but that is not how it SHOULD be handled. I could see a technical on both players but I wouldn't call the 3rd technical on the dunk during a dead ball.

Let's say that a player is airborne and is 2 inches away from dunking the ball when you blow a violation on the offense for swinging his/her arms. This causes the ball to become dead and if the player dunked the ball then a technical foul could be charged. HOWEVER no one in their right mind would make this call because it is not the spirit & intent of the rule.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

There are 2 officials for this game.
Both NCAA and Federation state that it is a 'T' for dunking a dead ball.
If it is an immediate continuation of the play, as stated by All_Heart, then I would not call a 'T'. But I have seen many NCAA games on TV when there is a foul or violation and the player continues the drive to the basket and dunks the ball without the official calling a 'T'.
Example: A1 is driving to the basket, gets fouled while dribbling before the foul line. Continues the dribble, jumps and dunks the ball.
To me that is an obvious infraction of the rule. Oh well......