The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

All of you struggling with whether the force is reinstated because the runner may not have been intending to go back to 1B, comment on the part of the rule I have emphasized below (ASA)

Quote:
Section 7. THE RUNNER IS OUT.
C. When, on a force play, a fielder contacts the base while holding the ball, or tags the runner before the runner reaches the base. If the forced runner, after touching the next base, retreats for any reason towards the base first occupied, the force play is reinstated and the runner may again be put out if the defense tags the runner or the base to which the runner is forced.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto
Runners on 1st and 3rd with two outs. Ground ball to short in the hole. Flips to 2nd baseman covering the base on a bang bang play. Runner from 3rd scores. 2nd baseman drops throw from shortstop. Runner from 1st thinks he is out and starts walking to the 1st base dugout. By "retreating" does this reinstate the force out? If it does, then the run would not count.
My question is what did the umpire do?

Did the umpire call the runner out, thereby putting the runner in jeopardy because of a "bad call". If so, then I say the runner is put back on base and all other play stands.

If he called the runner safe then the runner had a brain fart, too bad runner out and no run scores.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Let me see if I have this straight. It sounds like there is a consensus that R2 made it to 2B about the same time as the throw that was dropped (OP called it a bang-bang play), and that he touched the base. Sounds like there is consensus that he is safe at 2B due to the dropped ball by F4. Not stated in the OP but we might expect him to have been called safe. Therefore at this point, the force is no longer in place. Is that right so far?

Now, the only way the force can be reinstated (at least in the sitch provided) is for R2 to retreat towards 1B. Is that right?

If I am correct so far, then is the crux of the matter whether heading to the dugout is considered "retreating towards 1B?" If so then the force it reinstated and if not, he is simply liable to be put out the same as if he were safe at 2B then wandered off the base in any direction (as long as he is on the playing field)?
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
No. You can't have a run score on this force out.
Just giving you guys food for thought. Keeping us sharp before Nationals.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.