The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

2-2 Count

NCAA Softball. 2-2 count, runner on 1st

Batter takes on a ball and drops her bat to run to first. Runner on first goes to second. Ball returned to pitcher in the circle. No play made.

Coach comes out says count is 3-2. Umpires agree. Put batter back in box and return runner to 1st.

What's the rule...can't find it.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Steve

Batter takes on a ball and drops her bat to run to first. Runner on first goes to second. Ball returned to pitcher in the circle. No play made.

Coach comes out says count is 3-2. Umpires agree. Put batter back in box and return runner to 1st.

I don't have my rules book nearby, but R1 stays at second base and B2 returns to bat with a 3-2 count. It's the coach's and player responsibility to know the game situation.

Same situation different outcome. F2 throws down to second base and F1 is tagged out. F1 is out and B2 returns to bat with a 3-2 count.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Why return the runner to 1st, sounds like a stolen base to me!
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Steve

Had this same thing happen the other day, EXCEPT runners at 1 and 2, and didn't wait for coach to come out. Runners advanced, batter was recalled to the plate by PU, and we played. It's a stolen base (provided the runners left before the ball was back in the circle) and a 3-2 count.

I do not babysit nor coach, and it is up to the players and coaches to know the count. I had just given it less than 30 seconds earlier...gosh isn't the game about me? Isn't anyone paying attention to ME? They couldn't do this without me! *previous three clauses/sentences meant purely in jest.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Had this same thing happen the other day, EXCEPT runners at 1 and 2, and didn't wait for coach to come out. Runners advanced, batter was recalled to the plate by PU, and we played. It's a stolen base (provided the runners left before the ball was back in the circle) and a 3-2 count.

I do not babysit nor coach, and it is up to the players and coaches to know the count. I had just given it less than 30 seconds earlier...gosh isn't the game about me? Isn't anyone paying attention to ME? They couldn't do this without me! *previous three clauses/sentences meant purely in jest.
I've not had that happen in a game this year, but I'm sure it will. It happens a few times each year. Recall the batter and keep playing. Maybe the defense will get one of the runners out next time.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
...provided the runners left before the ball was back in the circle...
Very good point. I've never consciously thought of that, but will in the future.

"Come one Blue. You're just looking for outs!"

Ummm..... well isn't that they pay me to do?
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't the proper Plate mechanic in this situation be to emphatically call "Ball Three!"?
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varefump
Wouldn't the proper Plate mechanic in this situation be to emphatically call "Ball Three!"?
Do you call any other ball "emphatically?" You would make the ball call just as you would any other one. If that is emphatic, then yes. If not, then no. It is the job of the teams to know the game situation.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varefump
From the person who said:
"Our association 'leaders' are going beyond the manual and developing mechanics designed to cover today's fast-pitch game.

The 90-degree to the throw, inside-outside theory, and button-hook are all archaic mechanics that don't fit the modern method of umpiring.
"