The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Respect for the Anthem

I attended the Long Island HS championships last week and have a question for my fellow umps. This was held at a typical softball complex. 4 fields facing N, S, E, and W with concessions in the middle. One game started on time and the others were about to start when the National Anthem was played over the loud speaker system.

All of the fans, as well as the teams whose games had not started stood in silence with hats off during the Anthem.

Except the game that was in progress. There was no attempt by either the 3 umps nor the coaches or players to stop and show respect for our national Anthem.

My question: When this happens to you, do you stop play and remove your hat until the Anthem has ended?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Yes. I would stop play as soon as the ball is in the circle, turn and face the flag, stand at attention, remove my hat and place it over my heart. Hopefully everyone else on that field would do likewise.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with argodad. At first opportunity I would have stopped play so respect for our National Anthem could be honored.

Why had the one game started before the National Anthem?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Without going into the discussion of whether it is the anthem or the flag which it accompanies is the target of the respect, this was poorly done by those in charge of the complex/tournament.

Yes, I would probably stop the game if possible. However, I would not be so harsh on the umpires which did not. I've seen other situations involving military officers which aggravated the hell out of the enlisted personnel, but that's life. You cannot get people to stop walking down an aisle at a game or shut up during the national anthem, what makes you think you can get girls to understand why you would stop the game?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

You stop the game ASAP when the ball is in the circle.

Another no brainer.

Stop drinking that delaware water mike.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
You stop the game ASAP when the ball is in the circle.

Another no brainer.
Do you ever bother reading just the words of another's post?

Too bad you weren't with me the last Armed Forces championship I worked where the base commander, wing commander and another ranking officer stood in the middle of the softball field, covered and in a relaxed posture during the presentation of the colors.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Do you ever bother reading just the words of another's post?

Too bad you weren't with me the last Armed Forces championship I worked where the base commander, wing commander and another ranking officer stood in the middle of the softball field, covered and in a relaxed posture during the presentation of the colors.
LOL, dont worry, I've done my share of standing around with base commanders standing in the middle of a field.. for hours on end at times.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
LOL, dont worry, I've done my share of standing around with base commanders standing in the middle of a field.. for hours on end at times.
A friend of mine came back from Kuwait with her unit sometime in 2004. Once they were on American soil, there was a little ceremony for them on base. Her first sergeant either got too caught up in his thoughts or was an idiot, and he forgot to give the order to salute the flag.

The local press got a hold of it, and turned it into, "this was to protest such a long deployment in Kuwait, blah blah blah..."

No, the dumb @$$ just slipped and forgot to give the order.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

So...am I to understand that when I am working a HS or college softball game somewhere, and we have had all the player introductions, anthem playing...etc., and my game starts, I should stop my game when, 30 minutes later, on the adjoining baseball field, they once again play the anthem?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I dont know how its done where you are but this was described as a 4 park normal softball complex.

Now normally, how we do it in California is everyone BEFORE the first game lines it up on all 4 diamonds.

Now I was picturing that one of the diamonds started early.

That diamond needs to stop when the complex conducts its ceremony.

This truly is a no brainer.

How you do it in your state is up to you. How you do it on your diamond is up to you. My field is stopping.

Last edited by mick; Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 08:00am.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

National Anthem

I have had this happen to me before -- in fact a couple of times -- on complexes where they had a 2 story house surrounded by 4 softball fields

On many of these complexes the PA system is not set up to address all 4 fields -- or the speakers on 1 field are blown. So if you've got the field w/ poor or no sound -- and administration is relying solely on your hearing things rather than some coordinated effort by park admin, then Anthem playing, moments of silence, or even announcements of cars being towed can go unheeded
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

I've run into this many times at a high school sports complex with baseball and softball fields, football stadium and track, soccer field, and tennis courts.

On any given school afternoon it is normal to have a baseball game, softball game, track meet, and tennis meet. Each sport may have different starting times; different starting ceremonies. If, for example, our softball game has started when the anthem is played at the football field, we don't stop.

On the other hand, at most L.L. parks where several BB or SB games are starting at the same time, there is usually a single anthem broadcast to all fields. Of course, no games start until the anthem is finished.

WMB
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
So...am I to understand that when I am working a HS or college softball game somewhere, and we have had all the player introductions, anthem playing...etc., and my game starts, I should stop my game when, 30 minutes later, on the adjoining baseball field, they once again play the anthem?
I would say yes, if you can see the American flag from your field. If not, then it's your call. And believe me, I'm very picky when it comes to our country's flag. It's another one of my rants on my website. You'll never EVER see me burn one, and probably kick someone's a$$ for doing so.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

My indoctrination is complete, every time I hear the National Anthem, I stop stand at attention and face the flag or the music (if there is no flag present). When I attend local games where the Flag is presented I stand at attention while the flag is presented until it has completely left the field or is properly cased. My actions are based upon the right and proper training from Boy Scouts and the USMC. I am also happy to report that many of my not so well trained friends and family have asked me what I am doing and have started to act in a like manner. At this tournament game management screwed up, but in my opinion so did the on field umpires. BUT ... wait for it ... here is the kicker. This is the USA where a display or lack of display of patriotism is each individuals own personal choice. While I clearly would have stopped the game if I was the PU, I would support and defend some scumbag's choice to not stop the game while the Anthem was played. Lastly members of the military who are properly covered need not remove their cap, but can actually hand salute when the colors are presented.

Bugg
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
...Lastly members of the military who are properly covered need not remove their cap, but can actually hand salute when the colors are presented.

Bugg
Is being in a relaxed posture the same as a hand salute?

You guys are making too much of this. I would rather guess the umpire crew didn't really know what to do, rather than guess they made a deliberate choice to not respect the flag / anthem.