The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
In our area, we don't work for TD's; we work for UIC's. Some times that is me; it often is others. Regardless, no TD in this area would be allowed to do what you state. He might approach the UIC to see if the UIC will address the umpire; but, you all understand that would have to be an exceptional circumstance where the umpire is so wrong, out of control, or possibly in some violation and breach of our ethics.

So, in our area, if this happened, you go to the UIC. Pretty sure he is pulling all the umpires off all the fields; right now!! I know I am, if this is my tournament. As Mike said, the TD has no authority on the ball field. Period. And, the umpires work for me; not for the TD. Period.
Agreed. I would not work a tourney that didn't have a UIC. If this happened in a game of mine, I'd have ejected TD, and when he didn't leave, forfeit the game, stay right there, and wait for my UIC. And if the TD tried to overrule the UIC, the entire umpire group would leave, and this TD would never get real umpires for a tourney again.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, there was no UIC. I didn't even know it was a tournament until I arrived. This was assigned through our assignment program, which we don't normally use for tournaments; furthermore, there was no indication this was a tournament in our game assignments. It's not unusual to be assigned a five- or six-pack of slow pitch on a Sunday.

Many good ideas and thoughts have been expressd in response to the post. I think one of the best to take to our board later this month is to require a UIC be hired from our association for any tournament such as this. No, a UIC was not hired/appointed, and had I known this was going to be a tournament, I wouldn't have darkened their door.

As for one of the responses, like the first after the original, you couldn't be further from the truth. If more umpires had the nerve/guts/balls to take care of business we'd have a lot more fun out there. I, for one, refuse to kiss a$$.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 09:41pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Moral of story. Players play to play, players play to pay you, you are nothing more than a servant in this environment. Bow your had and say "Yassir" or don't do these games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
At least I will never have to worry about running into you at a rib joint.
I hold my forearms tight to my chest, yes, you won't, correct.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 09:45pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex
I'm a dreamer! Besides that, it's not the fee that I umpire for. I know in the US umpires work the games to have an income.
What? Whatzzat you say? Don't wander over to the baseball forum, 3/4ths will tell you how wrong you are. Then cash the checks.
Quote:

My fee doesn't cover all of my costs. I have to work to feed my wife and family and CAN umpire besides that.
God love you, Dutch.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 09:46pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Bull****. ........
Care to elaborate or is this the beginning and end?
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 09:49pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones

Fitump56 may be correct about the dream world, and the "pay to play" thing, but I ain't gonna bow my head and say "Yassir". I'll take the second option, and call the Darling's!
Good for you. Just understand the consequences. I can't count the times I have had to pay for refusing to coddle up.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Good for you. Just understand the consequences. I can't count the times I have had to pay for refusing to coddle up.
Don't fret FitUmp56....no one is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 02:51am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Don't fret FitUmp56....no one is worthless.
I'll sleep better knowing you are in good hands then.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
What? Whatzzat you say? Don't wander over to the baseball forum, 3/4ths will tell you how wrong you are.
If I'm wrong about the pro's, I must have been misinformed. Sorry for that.
My point was that solidairity among umpires is the greatest thing in a tournament (in life itself). And I know that money can destroy that solidarity. I'm not saying that I can/will look into someone wallet, solidairity can cost me and others money. That my point. To be solidair with eachother, it might cost. If that makes me dreamer, so be it...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I have walked off a field for the same thing where the Field Director said I could not eject a player and that he would finish the game and I did not get paid for my scheduled games that night. None of my fellow umpires left with me as I walked off. I did not umpire at that site for 5 years while that Field Director was in charge. So I lost money for five years. I went else where and umpired. The incident caused ill will in our group. The Field Director got fired. I still don't umpire at that site.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47
I have walked off a field for the same thing where the Field Director said I could not eject a player and that he would finish the game and I did not get paid for my scheduled games that night. None of my fellow umpires left with me as I walked off. I did not umpire at that site for 5 years while that Field Director was in charge. So I lost money for five years. I went else where and umpired. The incident caused ill will in our group. The Field Director got fired. I still don't umpire at that site.

Do you have regrets?
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Many good ideas and thoughts have been expressd in response to the post. I think one of the best to take to our board later this month is to require a UIC be hired from our association for any tournament such as this. No, a UIC was not hired/appointed, and had I known this was going to be a tournament, I wouldn't have darkened their door.
Yes, that's good. In our local association, a UIC is always assigned for each tournament. How the UIC would handle such a situation would probably vary depending on the UIC (some are more capable than others), but at the very least, if something happened like what happened to you, that TD wouldn't be getting any more umpires until our directors had a meeting with him. Whether he ever gets more umpires from us would depend on his response to that meeting.

I recall my first ever slo-pitch ejection, and it was a rec tourney as well. The ejected player was full of bluster, and as he was leaving, he promised to get the TD. This happened in the second inning, and the game played out without the TD ever coming by. Afterwards, I discussed it with the TD and asked him if the player came to find him. He did, and the TD simply asked him what he did to get ejected. When the player told him, he simply replied that he would have ejected him too. It was good to hear that the TD supported the umpires!
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Since the OP stated that the TD walked up and wanted to reinstate the player, without asking YOUR side of things (of course ejected players lie), then telling you to leave, I probably would have stayed, told the ejected players manager that the game will be forfeited if said player didnt leave, kick the TD off the field(whether he left or not is mute), most probably call the forfeit, tell the winning team that they may have to protest to keep the win, inform the other umpires nearby,and stay there for my next game.
Basically not making it easy for the TD to solve things HIS way. This diamond is MINE during the game.
Not everything is in our control, but I'd like to think that I'd finish this game and any others I had scheduled. Whether a forfeit win stood up, or the ejected player plays again in another game, or the possibly forfeited game has to be rescheduled, is now not my concern---only my game management, per MY call.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
...whether he left or not is mute....
I seriously doubt it would be mute!
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, believe me, you wouldn't have any idea of how right you are and how WRONG I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
Since the OP stated that the TD walked up and wanted to reinstate the player, without asking YOUR side of things (of course ejected players lie), then telling you to leave, I probably would have stayed, told the ejected players manager that the game will be forfeited if said player didnt leave, kick the TD off the field(whether he left or not is mute), most probably call the forfeit, tell the winning team that they may have to protest to keep the win, inform the other umpires nearby,and stay there for my next game.
Basically not making it easy for the TD to solve things HIS way. This diamond is MINE during the game.
Not everything is in our control, but I'd like to think that I'd finish this game and any others I had scheduled. Whether a forfeit win stood up, or the ejected player plays again in another game, or the possibly forfeited game has to be rescheduled, is now not my concern---only my game management, per MY call.