The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

help with positioning

Hey folks, I spend alot of time over on the basketball side but need to ask for some help over here.

I'm working SP solo games with a runner on 2nd. Line drive to the outfield and the batter is digging for 2 so I move out almost to pitchers mound to make sure I have a look at the play at 2nd. The throw goes to the plate and actually is thrown a bit long so the catcher jumps and makes the catch and attempts the tag. I'm completly straightlined so I hesitate to see the runner and catchers reaction (hoping for someone to give it away) but get no help.

I noticed myself fighting for a good look all night, can you guys offer some suggestions that will help me cover both bags?
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Angle is more important that distance. Keep your priorities. In that situation, you priority is the play at the plate. Move up the third base line, staying in foul territory, to a position where you can see the possible catch in the outfield, have an angle on any play at 2nd, and be in position for a play at the plate or at 3rd.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Hey folks, I spend alot of time over on the basketball side but need to ask for some help over here.

I'm working SP solo games with a runner on 2nd. Line drive to the outfield and the batter is digging for 2 so I move out almost to pitchers mound to make sure I have a look at the play at 2nd. The throw goes to the plate and actually is thrown a bit long so the catcher jumps and makes the catch and attempts the tag. I'm completly straightlined so I hesitate to see the runner and catchers reaction (hoping for someone to give it away) but get no help.

I noticed myself fighting for a good look all night, can you guys offer some suggestions that will help me cover both bags?
The only time you should be running out that far is with NO runners or only an Runner on first. Don't let any runners behind you (how could you see OBS, INT, or the touching of their bases if you did?)
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Good points and thanks alot. The first year I umpired SP, they had a clinic and then you worked games with some vets. That was very helpful for 2 person but it's toally different when you are solo which is what I worked last year and will work this year. This is my 3rd year and I don't remember struggling at all last year like I did last night. It felt like I was either straight lined or almost in the way of the throw. I guess it's good that the players had no idea of where I should be but I knew I needed to get some advice.