The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in my first year and I've noticed the books (particularly Fed) suggest that the proper C postion is to be on a line from the plate through the side of the rubber. But I find that puts me to the shortstop's left and gives me a very bad angle on foot-base-glove on steals of third.

I don't have any problem hustling (I've done soccer for nearly twenty years so I running to position is no problem.)
Where do the experienced umpires position themselves in games where the runner at second intends to be a runner at third frequenty, whether on steals or advances on passed balls in those short backstop fields?

Thanks!
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Well, when I am in "C", I always try to read the third base coach's signals. After a few innings I usually am able to pick up on them.

So the coach gives R2 the "steal" sign, I quickly call time, and hustle over to the "D" position. This will give you a great look at the plays at third base.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drumbum565
i like to be were it said in the fediration have a foot on the line with home plate and be sort of at an angle to the pitcher so that you can see the pick off at second but as far as a steel at third you can ether hear the runner moving or them saying "hes going" i will then run about 5 or 6 feet to my right and i am then in position.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickfriedmann
I'm in my first year and I've noticed the books (particularly Fed) suggest that the proper C postion is to be on a line from the plate through the side of the rubber. But I find that puts me to the shortstop's left and gives me a very bad angle on foot-base-glove on steals of third.
My Fed Umpire Manual does not say that, nor do any of the other manuals I have say that. Position C is "approximately halfway between the pitcher's mound and second base, on the third-base side of the infield, more less on a line extended from the plate through the edge of the the mound, with the feet positioned parallel to the pitcher's plate.." There is a big difference between standing on a line from the plate through the side of the rubber and the a line from the plate through the side of the mound. In the correct C position you should be just left of the SS and just right of a runner leading off. Sometimes the runner behind you will ask for a step and he is generally asking for you to move one step to the right. On steals of third you should not step toward 3B, but toward the 3B line so you will be at 45 degree angle to 3B and have a real good look. You may hear the runner moving behind you but I don't recommend doing anything until the pitch reaches the catcher, because 1) you may be asked for a check swing appeal, and 2) you may distract the batter.

[Edited by DG on Jun 19th, 2005 at 09:06 PM]
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

So, DG, you're basically moving to a position in toward home, then getting a big 45 degree angle to third? That makes sense.

As to the runner on second asking "Blue, can you move a step" - to keep from blocking the SS is there any problem making that move in toward the mound rather than to your right?
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Nvm i had my positions mixed up.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, DG, you're basically moving to a position in toward home, then getting a big 45 degree angle to third? That makes sense.

As to the runner on second asking "Blue, can you move a step" - to keep from blocking the SS is there any problem making that move in toward the mound rather than to your right?
If he is asking for a step it's because he is trying to get a big lead and can't see the plate where you are. Stepping towards the plate does not help. He would not be taking a lead large enough where one step would block the SS if SS is playing normal. If SS is hugging the bag, he may ask for a step (back to where you were). If runner asks for step right and SS asks for a step left then I go with the SS and the runner needs to adjust. 99% of the time adjusting one step to the right for a runner does not bother SS.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

yeah i am usualy to the right of the pitcher cause it is hard to call balks when you are directly behind him
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drumbum565
yeah i am usualy to the right of the pitcher cause it is hard to call balks when you are directly behind him
Positioning for BU is for calling plays on the bases, not to get in position to call balks. One, you don't see that many balks to call, and two, your partner will call balks also, but you have the call on a steal of 3B.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

WOW!

LDUB you nailed it . . .

I am amazed at intenet umpire posts!

This thread ties for the dumbest thread on the internet.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Tee,

I'm curious. What thread is it tied with?

Mike
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 04:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: WOW!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
LDUB you nailed it . . .

I am amazed at intenet umpire posts!

This thread ties for the dumbest thread on the internet.
I still can't believe that nobody has jumped on the part where a poster said he doesn't start for third until the ball reaches the plate. Good luck making a call if you do that.

As soon as the BU knows R2 is breaking, the BU has to start for the 45 foot mark between home and third if he ever wants to get a good angle on the play.

Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Tim C and the rest. Thank you for enlightening me with your superiority. Excuse me for having a question that would improve my skills and enable me to provide a better game for the players.

p.s. - I hope you see plays better than you read because I NEVER said I don't break to 3B until the ball reaches the plate.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Rick-

Rich didn't say you said it, he said "a" poster had said it. I believe it was in DG's post about midway through the thread.

-Josh
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't have any problem hustling (I've done soccer for nearly twenty years so I running to position is no problem.)
Where do the experienced umpires position themselves in games where the runner at second intends to be a runner at third frequenty, whether on steals or advances on passed balls in those short backstop fields?

Thanks!
Well, the easiest thing to do is move to B. Then you don't have to worry about the angle, and you're a lot closer to first.

Thanks
David