The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I am not an umpire, but I enjoy this forum as a lurker. My question regards umpire positioning. During yesterday's A's/Ranger's game, R1, R2, 0 outs, single to left. As R2 is approaching 3B, 3B coach is waving R2 home. As coach changes mind and puts up stop sign, PU is getting into position for possible play at 3B. PU runs between coach and 3B. If a collision between R2 and PU were to occur, is there anything? or just a train wreck? My son, who just broke his arm and may not be able to play next year, has expressed interest in becoming an umpire. He asked this question and I told him I didn't know, but that someone here would know the answer.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Hunter:

There are only two times umpire's interference can be called:

When an umpire interferes with the catcher while the catcher is making a throw and,

When an umpire is struck with a batter ball that has not yet passed an infielder (does not include the pitcher).

So in your examples it would be "Play on, McDuff."
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Play on

And, as an umpire do your best to never put yourself into a position where you might interfere with the play.

If you ever interfere, someone is going to be screaming about it. And if the flag is raised high enough by the screamer, someone of importance (commissioner/assigner) is going to hear about it and your perceived abilities will be lessened. Next year the big game might go to someone else.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I got hit by a thrown ball for the first time on Saturday. Bases loaded, I'm in B, ground ball to SS. He fields it and all he needed was a quick toss to 2B for the 3rd out but instead comes up throwing to 1B. I go to one knee to give him a better view of 1B and he plunks me in the back and the ball ends up over near 1b dugout. I must have been 10 feet left of a straight line to 1b from where he was. 3 runs score while defense stands around, then realizes the ball is live and retrieves it. The throw home to try to get R1 was wild.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

May I Appeal?

With all due respect, may I appeal 9.01b with 9.01c?
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

SA I am guessing at what you mean?

If you are asking could an umpire use 9.01(C) as an example to increase the actions covered under Umpire Interference . . . the answer is clearly "NO".

9.01(c) is used to cover items not in the rules. Umpire Interference is clearly discussed and set by rule.

9.01(c) is a crutch used by poorly trained umpires OR to cover when Randy Johnson's pitch hit a bird on the way to the plate.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Hunter

Umpires, Basketball & Football Referees are part of the field. I'm certain we have all seen Football Officials get hit in the head by a QB's pass or used as a "blocker" during a running play.

It happens. We do our best to get out of the way but sometimes it is unavoidable especially in today's game where the participants use metal bats as opposed to wood.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Had it happen in a college game I was playing in. Runner at second, two down. Batter rips a single to center. CF comes up firing a strike to home, Umpire, doesn't see the runner take a real wide turn at third. I'm backing up the play watching the throw come in and I hear the runner yell "Look Out!" about two steps before he freight-trains the plate umpire. Both go down. Our catcher grabs the throw from center, walks over and tags the runner, the plate umpire, from his back, rings up the runner.

Quite the sh$$storm that caused. It was pretty funny though seeing the umpire ring a guy up while laying on his back.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thank You

Definitely a learning sitch. for me. I would hate to add erroneous facts, injuries or insults to this sitch. or any other umpire collision thread.

Have a great season,

Go Horns!