The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Last week I was at a couple of girls' state tournament games last week. Early in the first half of one game their was a "rugby scrum" for the ball in the middle of the lane. Lead (2 man) walked about 5 steps up the side of the lane to look at the play from behind. Does anyone else do this? Is this something that is talked about at some camps? I had never seen this before. What happens if the ball comes out and heads to the baseline? The officials called an excellent game in my opinion, but I wasn't sure about positioning on this one play.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 12:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not that I am aware of.

If you are suggesting that is there an actual mechanic when a loose ball takes place to move off the baseline, well no there is not. But that does not mean that you could not adjust your position to get a better look in that situation. It probably was the only way this official could determine who had the ball and to prevent further unnecessary physical action. And just because the ball might head to the baseline does not mean he would not be able to see it if he came off the baseline.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Junker, a good official will move to the spot where he/she has the best look at the whole play. If that means move off the baseline (especially in 2-whistle), then that's what you do. No hard and fast rule for where to stand in this situation. If the ball squirts out toward the endline, then you move back (quickly!) to the endilne to see if it goes OOB. Simple as that

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

A clinician once told me:

"Get to where you have to be to see what you have to see".

At the time he was referring to working the arc as Trail in a 2-person crew, but I think it applies to pretty much everything.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys! I had never seen a lead go out on the floor like that unless charging in while calling a held ball. I was always told to stay on the baseline and get out wider to get a view of a play like this. I guess I questioned his position because of this and because in essence you ended up with both officials in a trail position. In similar situations I let my partner get the view from behind and I get wide or close in depending on where I feel I'm getting the best look. I'll have to think about getting out on the floor the next time I have a situation like this.