Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Damn, neither one of you have a clue.
Yeah but in my defense, you knew that about me years ago. He's new at irritating you

Last edited by wadeintothem; Sun Mar 25, 2007 at 11:02pm.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
While you response is rather crude and demeaning to the majority of umpires in slow pitch softball, it does make a point.

Most of us slug it out on one man diamonds with players who are accomplished in everything BUT softball.

The ASA manuals are written to develop umpires to the highest level.

I wish you well in your trip to the top echelons of softball nirvanna.

I doubt, however, you will get there faster by bashing all of us who work the games you no longer need. I can assure you I wear nothing but approved clothing and spend a lot of time learning the rules and attending meetings and clinics.

I am limited to a few games a week, and an occasional local tournament.

But, no matter the level of play, I work hard to make the game run smoothly and enjoyably for the players.
Oh my bad, when you were arguing an unprescribed mechanic for the sake of arguing it, I thought you were one of the flip flop wearing umpires.

Another option for you then - I know an umpire we'll call him Bob. Well over 30 years umpiring. Bob thinks umpiring is what I call the "Bob Show". He has all these flourishes and announcements and carries on and little things he does. Oddly, lots of people enjoy him as an umpire, and I've had them tell me that "Oh I love it when he does that". I dont particularly enjoy the "bob show" of umpiring, as I am a low key umpire and when I work with him I just get through it. I dont think its my show, I'm not the announcer and the court jester and the between inning entertainment. Over all he is a good umpire but he is quite something to watch. The game is actually about him as the umpire.

Maybe you are similar to that and invent for yourself all these little flourishes and dances and hand claps to make it the "jimpiano" show.

Dunno. I suppose its better than the torn tshirt guy.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While you response is rather crude and demeaning to the majority of umpires in slow pitch softball, it does make a point.
You think that was crude? Hold on, cuz I'm about to say what others won't say because they have more class than I do. But I've cheated death four times in the last six months or so, so what do I really have to lose?

Jimpiano, you really do not have a friggin clue.

The ASA rule book is NOT written to help umpires get to the highest level. There are other programs within ASA (and some other organizations) to accomplish THAT task. The ASA rule book is written to have uniformity amongst players, leagues, coaches, commissioners, administrators and umpires.

The umpire manual (that would be the unused protion of your rulebook right behind the pretty photos of the National Umpire Staff - and we're sorry about that last picture in there, but it was the best we could get without breaking the f'in camera) was not primarily written to get you to nationals.

It was written to get you through that rec slow pitch game, that 12U B "fast" pitch game. It was written for 40,000-plus umpires, many of whom aspire to become the best umpire they can be. Some want to do 5 nights of slow pitch every night, and that is ok because WE need those fellow umpires.

The book stresses uniformity - not just in how we dress, but in the rules we enforce and the signals we use. that way if I get lucky enough to work with someone down in Dallas or College Station or Phoenix or Sioux Falls next summer, we will dress alike, work alike, signal alike and talk alike.

There IS an appropriate place for your double fist pump ... although I doubt it would take two fists to pump. But out on the softball field there is no place for an unauthorized signal, whether ASA, NSA, Players Choice, USSSA, ISC, Pony, Dixie, AFA, NAFA or any other form of alphabet soup.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Wow...I thought this thread would be dead by the time I got back in town.... but the Troll lives....

I cant stand when someone spouts off about how long they have been umpiring....show me ON the field what you can do. And if you show me those weak mechanics, it doesnt matter how long youve been doing it....its still wrong.. and if you havent been evaluated on them.. be happy, because it probably wouldnt be a good experience.

If you're too smart to learn, youre too stupid to live.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That was a response?
Just a fact, nothing more.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That would be your interpretation, not mine.
No. If you are reading what Tom wrote, that would be, and is ASA's interpretation!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I guess it boils down to attitude toward umpiring. Someone once said (paraphrasing) that integrity is what you do when you can't get caught or no one is watching. Umpiring is much the same.

Do you only conduct yourself, present yourself, etc., according to the level of play and whether you are being evaluated?

Or, do you always try to show up early, with the proper uniform, clean and pressed, and use the signals and mechanics of your sanctioning body?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

There it is .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I guess it boils down to attitude toward umpiring. Someone once said (paraphrasing) that integrity is what you do when you can't get caught or no one is watching. Umpiring is much the same.

Do you only conduct yourself, present yourself, etc., according to the level of play and whether you are being evaluated?

Or, do you always try to show up early, with the proper uniform, clean and pressed, and use the signals and mechanics of your sanctioning body?
That about sums up alot of things. Personally I go in to every game with the highest expectations of myself. Even if it is a urban JV game that I know is gonna be ugly. I show up early. I walk the field. We do ground rules. I treat them accordingly. And when I leave I know I did them right by my effort and attitude.

My game today is real easy to be motivated for. Best team in our area, ranked #1 out of 112 teams, versus their main conference rival. And I show up early, walk the field, do the ground rules etc....
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhh, <sigh>

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
You think that was crude? Hold on, cuz I'm about to say what others won't say because they have more class than I do. But I've cheated death four times in the last six months or so, so what do I really have to lose?

The ASA rule book is NOT written to help umpires get to the highest level. There are other programs within ASA (and some other organizations) to accomplish THAT task. The ASA rule book is written to have uniformity amongst players, leagues, coaches, commissioners, administrators and umpires.

The umpire manual (that would be the unused protion of your rulebook right behind the pretty photos of the National Umpire Staff - and we're sorry about that last picture in there, but it was the best we could get without breaking the f'in camera) was not primarily written to get you to nationals.

It was written to get you through that rec slow pitch game, that 12U B "fast" pitch game. It was written for 40,000-plus umpires, many of whom aspire to become the best umpire they can be. Some want to do 5 nights of slow pitch every night, and that is ok because WE need those fellow umpires.

The book stresses uniformity - not just in how we dress, but in the rules we enforce and the signals we use. that way if I get lucky enough to work with someone down in Dallas or College Station or Phoenix or Sioux Falls next summer, we will dress alike, work alike, signal alike and talk alike.

There IS an appropriate place for your double fist pump ... although I doubt it would take two fists to pump. But out on the softball field there is no place for an unauthorized signal, whether ASA, NSA, Players Choice, USSSA, ISC, Pony, Dixie, AFA, NAFA or any other form of alphabet soup.

Well said, what a breath of fresh air as compared to the tired old stale BS issued by the TROLL
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Who would have thought that a relatively uncomplicated OP would have led to this type of discussion for eight pages????

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Who would have thought that a relatively uncomplicated OP would have led to this type of discussion for eight pages????
Eight pages?
I only have three, that must mean I am living right and God saw fit to not have me see the rest of this rediculous stuff.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
Well said, what a breath of fresh air as compared to the tired old stale BS issued by the TROLL
Thank you sir.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones

Thanks for your input.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

I dont get it... are you TRYING to be a braying jackass??? or do you just not get what EVERYONE else is TRYING to HELP you with?
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have seen over 30 different rule books and umpire's manuals(or variastions) since I started umpiring. The suggested mechanics have changed dozens of times. The constants center on hustle, a thorough knowledge of the rules, and to dress and behave professionally.

I made a comment about a technique that hundreds of ASA umpires, and others, use and said I liked it. It is well within the parameters of techniques that each umpire uses to manage a game.

You may not like the technique which is your choice.

Your responses, however, hardly reflect the level of achievement you claim to have.

I just noticed he has NIF in his signature. I'd say he might be doing something right...

Just a hunch.