The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Catcher Obstruction - yet again

Can't get away from these calls. Close game last weekend, batter swings, hits one deep, caught at the fence. On the backswing as batter is leaving the box, the bat hits catchers glove. Batter halfway to 1B when ball is caught turns and yells catcher obstruction. PU , who has made no call, grants her the base and takes away the out. WFC rules define CO as "interferes with batters swing".

I'm not sure how this one should go, but it definitely affected the outcome of the game.

Another unrelated question over a strange play. ASA rules, Batter is slapping and sees wild pitch (changeup). She runs in front of the pitch, possibly deliberately, and is HBP outside of the batters box. Awarded 1B??
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 12:38am
Never Stop Learning

1. No catchers obstruction on the back swing. The batter must be given the opportunity to hit the ball. Sounds like that happened. Maybe a sore catcher. What are WFC rules? 2. Dead ball, Ball. Batter must make an attempt to get out of the way of the pitch, not get in the way of it.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Thu Apr 19, 2007 at 12:48am.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
1. No catchers obstruction on the back swing. The batter must be given the opportunity to hit the ball. Sounds like that happened. Maybe a sore catcher. What are WFC rules? 2. Dead ball, Ball. Batter must make an attempt to get out of the way of the pitch, not get in the way of it.
Ed's right on both counts. Can't be CO. And dead ball, ball, and I'd tell her not to do it again because I could be in a $hitty mood and run her for USC.

I wonder if, during the ensuing argument, we could tell the coach, "Hey, don't ya remember? We don't have to judge intent anymore."
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D
Another unrelated question over a strange play. ASA rules, Batter is slapping and sees wild pitch (changeup). She runs in front of the pitch, possibly deliberately, and is HBP outside of the batters box. Awarded 1B??
Ed has correctly answered your questions. However, in the situation quoted above, if the ball was in the strike zone or the batter prevented from entering the strike zone, then you would have a dead ball strike.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.