The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Slow Pitch Umps (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/32261-slow-pitch-umps.html)

Chess Ref Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:40am

Slow Pitch Umps

I have been encouraged by my NFHS/ASA assignor to help out on the slowpitch side of things this year. SO I have some slowpitch questions. I have looked in the book but my research skills seem to be lacking. So you SP umps have some patience with me and HELP.......please

Illegal Pitch= too high, too low, hits ground before home plate, hits home plate........is my thinking correct on these ?

CLBuffalo Tue Feb 27, 2007 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I have been encouraged by my NFHS/ASA assignor to help out on the slowpitch side of things this year. SO I have some slowpitch questions. I have looked in the book but my research skills seem to be lacking. So you SP umps have some patience with me and HELP.......please

Illegal Pitch= too high, too low, hits ground before home plate, hits home plate........is my thinking correct on these ?

IP on too high or too low.

Dead ball and ball on the batter if pitch hits the plate or anywhere on the ground before passing home plate. Also batter can not swing at any pitch that has hit the plate or the ground.

Good luck.

azbigdawg Tue Feb 27, 2007 08:10pm

Quote:

Good luck. Its a great game..... sometimes its even ok at the beer league level. Just like FP learn the nuances from your senior people...the ASA manual has a pretty good umpire section also.

SWFLguy Fri Mar 02, 2007 03:45pm

I worked a league back in CNY that had a league rule
that a ball hitting the plate was a strike !!!
Talk about taking the bat out the the hitter's hands !
There also was a women's league that used a mat---
horrible games when you had a pitcher that couldn't lob
the ball onto it. I felt like asking batters why they bothered
brinig a bat with them !
WALK-WALK- WALK- WALK-.............
(groan)

scottk_61 Fri Mar 02, 2007 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy
I worked a league back in CNY that had a league rule
that a ball hitting the plate was a strike !!!
Talk about taking the bat out the the hitter's hands !
There also was a women's league that used a mat---
horrible games when you had a pitcher that couldn't lob
the ball onto it. I felt like asking batters why they bothered
brinig a bat with them !
WALK-WALK- WALK- WALK-.............
(groan)

The introduction of the mat and a strike for hitting the plate was the final dumbing down of the game.
I umpired SP for many years, and endured many dense players but even they dont' like the mat.

With the mat, the game becomes a joke all together.

azbigdawg Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottk_61
The introduction of the mat and a strike for hitting the plate was the final dumbing down of the game.
I umpired SP for many years, and endured many dense players but even they dont' like the mat.

With the mat, the game becomes a joke all together.

What he said..I cringe when I volunteer to work a league with the mat.... dumbest rule ever.

NDblue Sat Mar 03, 2007 02:17am

The only time they use a mat around here is if there isn't an umpire. Fall co-ed is the only league that uses them because they aren't willing to pay to have a live body behind the catcher.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Mar 03, 2007 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue
The only time they use a mat around here is if there isn't an umpire. Fall co-ed is the only league that uses them because they aren't willing to pay to have a live body behind the catcher.

And then the catcher and batter end up arguing over whether the ball hit the mat or not :D

Edited to correct spelling

Chess Ref Sat Mar 03, 2007 06:42pm

The standard

Well around here the mat definetly seems to be the norm. We also don't have much high end SB.
Some of the SB umps said there is not as much complaining about strikes now......they just complain about arc.......

ukumpire Wed Mar 07, 2007 03:50am

Mat

I believe the Mat was endorsed to help out with lower end SP, when it comes to A Grade the Mat is used very little. I think the big Advertsing Tournament that is run annually in Palm Springs uses it, but that is the only big Tournament to use such a concept. It is also used a lot in Canada so I am led to believe. We in the UK have never, and God willing, will never resort to such a rubbish idea.
The Strike Zone belongs to the Umpire, and as such, You can make the batters swing, it is amazing how big the Strike Zone is, when you want it to be.... Slowpitch is a Batting Game

Chess Ref Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:34am

More questions

So let me make sure I have this correct .

1. Illegal Pitch means the pitch was too low or too high ?
2. I signal DDB. Batters doesn't swing. Ball on batter . runners advance 1 base. Correct ?

3. Batter swings -play on - Correct ?

4. Ball hits ground=dead ball, do you signal dead ball like in FP ?

archangel Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:18pm

Quote:

2. I signal DDB. Batters doesn't swing. Ball on batter . runners advance 1 base. Correct ?

1. yes, those are 2 examples of IP
2. Wrong, runners dont advance on high/low illegal pitches
3. Yes, play on
4. Yes

archangel Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:20pm

Quote:

1. yes, those are 2 examples of IP
2. Wrong, runners dont advance on high/low illegal pitches, and calling out "illegal pitch" is enough (lets batter know)
3. Yes, play on
4. Yes

rodan55 Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:56pm

Will the games be played with stealing?

Chess Ref Tue Mar 20, 2007 01:03pm

no stealing

I don't believe there is stealing allowed. This are pretty much middle to high beer leagues.......