Thread: Slow Pitch Umps
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
While you response is rather crude and demeaning to the majority of umpires in slow pitch softball, it does make a point.

Most of us slug it out on one man diamonds with players who are accomplished in everything BUT softball.

The ASA manuals are written to develop umpires to the highest level.

I wish you well in your trip to the top echelons of softball nirvanna.

I doubt, however, you will get there faster by bashing all of us who work the games you no longer need. I can assure you I wear nothing but approved clothing and spend a lot of time learning the rules and attending meetings and clinics.

I am limited to a few games a week, and an occasional local tournament.

But, no matter the level of play, I work hard to make the game run smoothly and enjoyably for the players.
Oh my bad, when you were arguing an unprescribed mechanic for the sake of arguing it, I thought you were one of the flip flop wearing umpires.

Another option for you then - I know an umpire we'll call him Bob. Well over 30 years umpiring. Bob thinks umpiring is what I call the "Bob Show". He has all these flourishes and announcements and carries on and little things he does. Oddly, lots of people enjoy him as an umpire, and I've had them tell me that "Oh I love it when he does that". I dont particularly enjoy the "bob show" of umpiring, as I am a low key umpire and when I work with him I just get through it. I dont think its my show, I'm not the announcer and the court jester and the between inning entertainment. Over all he is a good umpire but he is quite something to watch. The game is actually about him as the umpire.

Maybe you are similar to that and invent for yourself all these little flourishes and dances and hand claps to make it the "jimpiano" show.

Dunno. I suppose its better than the torn tshirt guy.