The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

I was advised that the catcher in 12 and under slowpitch softball is not allowed to use the word swing or any word that may cause the batter to swing. I have always heard the infielders chatter and use the word swing, what is the difference isn't the catcher an infielder? I would appreciate a rule that applys. I was also told that the catcher enticing the batter to swing is unsportsman like.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Most umpires will say that a catcher distracting the batter is USC. Including me. But it's all judgement --- you will find umpires that allow that.

To me, the difference is that the chatter from far away, and in front of the batter is "normal and expected", and is not likely to be a safety issue.

The catcher, located BEHIND the batter could cause the batter to look back ... which could become a safety issue.

It also depends on the level of ball. Above 16U or in HS, I'm probably letting this go.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

chattering

Mr MCrowder

I asked is there a rule regarding chatter, not a personal response. I would like to know if there is a rule regarding the catcher chattering, or saying strike, swing, now, or anything else that might cause the batter to swing. High school ball starts with 14 yr old girls in are area. I've been coaching since my oldest daughter was 5 and shes married, with kids. Umpires make judgement calls based on rules, not personal interpetation of the rules. I believe this is were softball has become so complicated. Slap or bunt, put the ball into play and allow bunting and slaping, personal opinion can't enter into that, and it just creates more offense.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

chattering

Mr MCrowder

One more thought, and I'll say no more. Chattering is unsportsman like in one age but not another, is this not a part of coaching, to teach at an early age to stay focused, and not allow the things around us to distract us. Parents, boyfriend, girlfriend, the people in the stands.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

There is no specific rule in the book that states a catcher or anyone else cannot chatter. There are many things that might happen or be said without being specifically defined in the rulebook; some are legal, some are not, some depend on the judgment of the umpire in that game.

Perhaps in your long experience you might have observed this.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

smalltown,

No there is no rule which say's the catcher may, or may not "chatter".

You asked for rules which would apply. Per ASA codes here are some;

8-1-D, which prohibits hindering a batter from striking at, or hitting a pitched ball.

10-9-A, prohibits unsportsmanlike acts.

10-1, which gives the umpire authority to order players, coaches, captains, or managers to omit acts which, in their judgement is necessary to give force and effect to one or all of the rules. The plate umpire also has authority to make decisions on situations NOT SPECIFICALLY COVERED IN THE RULES. If "chattering" is thus not specifically covered, it is now covered by this rule alone.

That should be enough to let you know that an umpire may, or may not allow "chattering". If you will notice from the rules cited, this is dependant on the judgement of the umpires. Yes umpires do make judgements based on the rules, and it is their "personal interpretations" of the rules. I must base my judgement on MY knowledge (thus interpretation) of the rules and not on YOUR judgement (or interpretation). You as a coach are given an option of protest if you feel an umpire mis-applied a rule.

Bottom line is, if your catcher is told by the umpire to not chatter, she is liable to be ejected if she does. If chattering bothers your batters, ask to have it stopped. If the umpire rules it to be no hinderance, your batters must ignore it.
Old Sun Jun 12, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

10-9-A, prohibits unsportsmanlike acts.

Get a new rule book, Jel. Rule 10-9 was removed this year.

I think it is simple. If a player is talking to their teammates, fine. If their chatter is directed at the other team, I'll warn them once. ONCE! I'll hang my hat of the first two sentences of POE #49.

Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

smalltown, my apologies. I thought you wanted an umpires point of view. I now see that you just wanted to complain. This is not the board for that. I'll make my best effort to ignore you in the future.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

apologize

Mr Mcrowder I am sorry! I did not mean to come across in such a manner. I was wanting the rule for chattering, and the rules which apply. JEL gave the info I was really looking for. The umpires in are league are always wanting to state their opinion and never want to quote the rule and can never seem to come up with the rule. They also like to allow something for 3 or 4 games and then change things after 4 or 5 innings. I would just like some consistency. We've played in several tournaments around and chatter, never anything said. I just always thought it was part of playing ball. I apologize again. I have called a few games and realize that everything should be done to have fun and compete. It is terrible that the way we use to play, has come to the point of controlling the game to keep it from getting out of hand.