The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

We all wear proper protection when working a fast-pitch game, but how many wear protection (and what kind) for a slow-pitch game. Last night, during a slow-pitch game, I took a foul shot directly into my groin (yes it sill hurts). I kind of sat there in the dirt for a few moments, after I recovered (enough to move on my own), I didn't move very far from behind the plate.

Bugg
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

When I'm not an umpire, I attempt to play a little slow pitch on a lower division women's team. When I'm the catcher, I always turn to the umpire and say, "Man, I hope you're wearing a cup, because I'm worse at catching than I am at umpiring." We both ususally laugh about it, but I've seen more than one ump get hit, and I've been hit in the face from a foul-tip myself.

I'm suprised that with all of the "political correctness" that and legal liability that some type of protection hasn't been required. Where are the OSHA people on this issue?

Good topic. Will I wear a face mask next year? Probably not, unless it becomes mandatory. The bruise I had got some sympathy from hubby and a few nights of no house chores at home (I think he actually felt sorry for me!).

Diana

Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Ummmm None......

I have been doing slow pitch for almost 20 years. I have taken balls in the shoulder and chest and shins. Fortunately I have not taken one in the face or "store". I have never worn any protection. This year I started to consider some.

Doing youth softball is much more dangerous than Mens. Girls that swing at pitches above their heads are pitches destined to come and attack the umpire. Earlier this year one of the guys I work with took a foul in the mouth and cut his lip up pretty good.

I doubt I will be adding any padding for slow pitch next year either.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

I've never worn any as of yet and I've had to duck pretty quickly more than a couple of times to avoid a head shot. Also had catchers save my teeth a couple of times.

I played for years and when I first worked the bases, it was really hard to have a ball hit towards me and not have a glove on to go get it.