The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
wrt "I just wish ASA would pick one uniform and stick with it."
That would be great if all sanctions could agree on one uniform and more importantly, stop changing it every time they get a chance. Even if some NCAA umpires make enough to pay for extra uniforms, most have more useful purposes for it and some actually need the income. I really don't care what color or what uniform we wear and I'm certainly not concerned about what color shirt looks more fashionable with what color pants. The point is it being uniform and "uniform" means same. If we all wore the same, then the uniformity would be apparent and the players and coaches would accept not only our appearance, but our consistency as well. We are on the field to work, not model. I'm really tired of buying and maintaining multiple "sets of clothes"; then having to replace them all every time some manufacturer takes a bigwig out to lunch in Oklahoma City or Indianapolis.
BTW, anyone who thinks the MLB umps look cool, with their white swoop shoes and non-matching jackets, should not have a say in what we wear.

Also, it is the fabric and not the color that makes the most difference.
Personally, as an ASA umpire, I don't give a damn what you wear for other sanctioning bodies. It is not my responsibility, nor should it be at my expense, to carry additional uniforms because YOU want to work other games sanctioned by other associations.

Just recently, as a UIC, I set a uniform for a tournament. In spite of my personal opinion, I allowed for powder over navy and navy over gray. I made this known to all selected umpires and specifically asked all to inform me if they did not have any part of the optional uniforms.

The only response was from one umpire who did not have a navy shirt and asked if he should buy one. I strongly suggested he contact other umpires to borrow a shirt. He did not know any umpires with a navy shirt, so he purchased one.

Come the tournament when asked about uniform availability, two or three informed me they did not have gray pants. I had no choice, but to discount the use of anything other than powder over gray. I was not impressed that those umpires did not just answer my question so I could inform the others. Meanwhile, this umpire purchase a shirt for which he has no use.

Again, I'm referring to ASA softball. I don't give a damn what other associations do. ASA umpires should not be responsible to adjust to benefit others who choose to work the games of another sanctioning body.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

While the principle of your point is well taken, you are looking at this at the wrong level. The motivation is driven by local leagues, etc., needing to attract umpires.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
While the principle of your point is well taken, you are looking at this at the wrong level. The motivation is driven by local leagues, etc., needing to attract umpires.
Actually, I'm referring to all facets. The incident to which I referred was a national, not a local friendly. Then again, the HS & college games in this area pay good enough to afford whatever uniform is necessary.

Speaking of motivation, would not the expense of multiple uniforms actually make it more difficult to get umpires to register and/or attempt to move up the ladder?
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'm one of those guys who work multiple sanctioning bodies. I think I'm coming to the opinion that I'd like to see a separate uniform for each. I wear the navy trousers for college and ASA. I wear gray trousers for everyone else - and that includes college, high school, ASA, PONY, and a few baseball groups.
I spend whatever it takes to have good looking uniforms - that's got to be the easiest high mark on any evaluation as I'm in complete control of that.
I did a high school state final one year where one of the umps didn't bother to spend to have a good looking uniform. One of the comments that was made was how could everything else with his appearance look so bad and his shirt look brand new - it's because I loaned him one of my shirts.
My choice be given, I prefer the navy pants. I don't care whether the grays are cooler. When you sweat the way I do, gray pants become two-tone - and that detracts from the appearance. The navy does not show that. Both show dust/dirt equally.
I was at that national Mike uic'd. You should have heard the annoyance (another word for whining) over only having one uniform because not everyone there could meet the standard for two uniforms. I was annoyed - I had taken the time to carry uniforms to the dressing room that I couldn't use - let's call that wasted tiem...... Mike's saying he was not impressed is just a bit of an understatement.

btw Cecil - Folks umpiring NCAA games are making well over $100 per double header, sometimes even over $200. While not well-paid when compared to football or basketball, that's not a bad extra inclome. In my case, I'm taking vacation time, so I get my regular paycheck in addition to the college & high school fees. We can afford different uniforms that used by high school umps - and personally, I want to look different than a high school ump when I'm working a college game.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Actually, I'm referring to all facets. The incident to which I referred was a national, not a local friendly. Then again, the HS & college games in this area pay good enough to afford whatever uniform is necessary.

Speaking of motivation, would not the expense of multiple uniforms actually make it more difficult to get umpires to register and/or attempt to move up the ladder?
In my view, there is no excuse, other than laziness, for an umpire to show up at any game assignment (let alone an ASA national fer cryin' out loud) without the required uniform(s). If they can't afford the proper and required uniform parts (ALL of them), then they should decline the assignment. The very least would be to communicate the problem in advance; your umpires did not even do that (even though you asked). I assume this was properly reflected in their evaluations.

I agree with you that there is no need for ASA to allow multiple uniform combinations as full-fledged ASA National Championship Finals to accomodate the uniforms the possible umpire pool owns. ASA should set the uniform standard for those tournaments based on the image they want to put forward for their umpires, and require umpires to obtain the proper uniform, or go home.

However, for the so-called "regional nationals", the story is different. The umpire pool for these is (by my experience) almost exclusively local. For those, the tournament UIC needs the flexibility (I would think) to ensure he has the games covered with qualified umpires.

On a personal level, I'm with Steve - I spend the money necessary to have the proper uniforms and to keep them looking professional. AFA in my area allows either black or gray shirts. They prefer black non-logoed hats and black non-logoed ball bags, but they allow navy blue for both hats and bags to accomodate local umpires. So, when I do AFA tournaments locally, I have in my kit all combinations, so I can match whatever my partner shows up with.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. I’m pretty new at this (4 Years ASA) and didn’t know about all the different uniforms. Here, ASA, NFHS, and PONY all use navy pants and light blue shirts. The only difference is the ASA logo on their light blue shirts. Even with that, I have 4 pants and 3 of each shirt just to make sure.

I’m going to another region’s NUS (ours doesn’t have one scheduled this year). Will I have to buy the gray pants just for a 2 day school?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig

I’m going to another region’s NUS (ours doesn’t have one scheduled this year). Will I have to buy the gray pants just for a 2 day school?
You might want to give them a call and find out before you mail them a check.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Sorry guys, i didn't mean to get a forum started, just wanted to clarify. I have both navy and gray and have no problem wearing whatever. Just did not want to bring both due to lack of space. I really have to leave room in my luggage for items that my wife buys while there to bring back.

Really looking forward to this trip. I will buy both of you a beer while there.

Larry

You have never bought a round of drinks in your life!!!!!!
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe that is one of his New Years resolutions.

And maybe while it has never happened before doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. You are never to old to change (or was it learn )

Either way, Larry I will see you next week.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Socalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalU

Who bought in Houston last year? I just don't buy in SoCal because I am the visitor. Besides, should't your handle be OrU?

Hi, W.

Patrick, don't believe anything this guy says. He is the only one I know that leaves the plate right in the middle of a TV game to go to the bathroom and leavesa national audience waiting after commercials are over.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Worked a tourney two years ago where the UIC specified powder blue over heather grey, no exceptions. Then he had powder blue shirts (various sizes) and heather grey pants (a few sizes) to sell to the 4-5 numbskulls that showed up with their baseball navy blue shirts on - one idiot had Navy blue over navy blue pants and looked like he worked at Fedex or something. Told them they could buy one, find one, or go home. They all bought one. Made a decent amount on the shirts as a bonus, and taught those boys a bit of a lesson (hopefully).
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

How sweet a beer can taste............

Quote:
Larry actually bought us friday night a round a beer. It tasted great! Even while it was a "Heiniken"beer. (I'll never buy that brand, to much chemicals) I'll hope that we can share a drink together again soon...

We've had a super time this weekend. If anyone here around is invited to the IndoorCup in the Netherlands and doesn't know if he/she would go, I would say: Go for it ! ! !
I'll hope to get invited next year. If not, I know I'll be watching the games.

The USA/Canada-teams and umpire's are now in Paris (France) for a view days and will be flying home this week...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not true!!! Larry picked up the tab for our entire dinner one night in Fort Worth after a local college tourney. Larry's always a generous guy.

Gary
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Indoor Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex
Larry actually bought us friday night a round a beer. It tasted great! Even while it was a "Heiniken"beer. (I'll never buy that brand, to much chemicals) I'll hope that we can share a drink together again soon...

We've had a super time this weekend. If anyone here around is invited to the IndoorCup in the Netherlands and doesn't know if he/she would go, I would say: Go for it ! ! !
I'll hope to get invited next year. If not, I know I'll be watching the games.

The USA/Canada-teams and umpire's are now in Paris (France) for a view days and will be flying home this week...
Sander & Patrick:

What a great time and wonderful hospitality. Next time I will buy Palm beer - much better. If anyone ever gets a chance to go here - GO. Great friends and a great time.

Gary - Thanks for sticking up for me. Willie was just trying to make up for his lack of confidence and umpiring skills by saying I was cheap. (Actually he is one of the best umps in the country, but don't let him know that, his head is big enough already.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Hi Larry,

Did you have fun in Paris ?
I hope that umpiring with us wasn't your worst experience
(I don't think it should be, but you never know)

For the people that don't know PALM beer is a belgium beer that taste a lot better than BUD (but than again which beer doesn't ) (It also tastes a lot better than many dutch beers)

bye,
Patrick