The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
...taste a lot better than BUD (but than again which beer doesn't )...
If you go on a binge with Bud, you are in a race between alcohol poisoning and water intoxication.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
If you go on a binge with Bud, you are in a race between alcohol poisoning and water intoxication.
Probably more likely the latter!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Probably more likely the latter!
I guess you both do have to come down to Europe to learn and taste some real beer. Although I like the German better than the Belgian beer, Patrick has a point. It's always better than any US-kind a beer. So little alcohol, it's like a kids-beer. And I don't like water, or it has to be to make some coffee...
(Afterall, tea is only there for the sick.......)

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex
I guess you both do have to come down to Europe to learn and taste some real beer. Although I like the German better than the Belgian beer, Patrick has a point. It's always better than any US-kind a beer. So little alcohol, it's like a kids-beer. And I don't like water, or it has to be to make some coffee...
(Afterall, tea is only there for the sick.......)
Oh...trust me, there are plenty of real beers here. Just none that get any international distribution, such as the Bud/Miller/Coors group gets. There are more than 1600 breweries in the US, all of which are brewing "real beer" with the exception of about 10% of them. (And that 10% just happen to be the types that make all the money, such as Anhauser Busch.)

I have been to Europe and consumed my share of beer there, and there is no style or type brewed there that I cannot find here. It is sad that the world only knows of America beers such as Budweiser, and know so little about such American craft brewers as Avery, Sierra Nevada, Pyramid, Full Sail, New Belgium, North Coast, Stone, Lagunitas, Victory, Brooklyn, Alaska Brewing, Breckenridge, Flying Dog.....well....you get the picture. The list goes on and on and on. Now...if you are ever in the states, especially down Texas way, let me know and we will see what we can do about setting you up with some real American beer, and not that pale yellow fizzy swill that so many think of as American beer!

Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Or, in MN... Summit Pale Ale... great stuff.

But, then, my favorite beer of all time is Pedigree Bitter draught (a British "real" ale - meaning unpasteruized; as a visitor, it takes a day or so for the plumbing to adapt, but it is worth it.)
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

My post only said something about BUD, not about any of the other beers. Last year has been my first time to the USA (this summer will be my second time) but I already found out that there are some nice beers around, you just have to look for it a bit. Its the same here in Holland, everybody knows Heineken and some people love it, I just don't like it.

But if I ever come down to Texas I might take you up on that offer
Or if you ever come down to Holland I might be able to buy you beer
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or, in MN... Summit Pale Ale... great stuff.

But, then, my favorite beer of all time is Pedigree Bitter draught (a British "real" ale - meaning unpasteruized; as a visitor, it takes a day or so for the plumbing to adapt, but it is worth it.)
Yes...Summit is very good. And I know I omitted many great American brewers, but the space and time is limited. It would have taken quite a while to remember all of them, anyway. Isn't Linenkuegel(sp) also in MN?

As for favorites, man, that would be hard for me. I really like a good Oatmeal Stout, and Samuel Smith and Young's(both of the UK), make some excellent ones.

Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
And I know I omitted many great American brewers, but the space and time is limited.
I know; I was just putting in a plug for a great St. Paul beer.
Quote:
It would have taken quite a while to remember all of them, anyway. Isn't Linenkuegel(sp) also in MN?
Close (on both spelling and location!) Leinenkugel's brewery is in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. They do make some good beers, but I prefer Summit Pale Ale.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Close (on both spelling and location!) Leinenkugel's brewery is in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. They do make some good beers, but I prefer Summit Pale Ale.
Well...yeah....to a Texan I guess that would be pretty close. I couldn't remember where, exactly, they were from. I just knew it was from somewhere up in that neck of the woods. I tried a wheat beer of theirs once that I liked, and I am not much on wheat beers.

Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Patrick

Patrick

If you come to Texas, you have to stay at my house. Same for you Sander. I had a wonderful time in Paris. What a wonderful trip and both my wife and I had the time of our lives.

In case all of you guys don't know, Patrick is coming to Oregon to work the Little League World Series this summer.

Both he and Sander (Dutch Alex) are going for European certification this summer (do I have this right, guys?)

They are excellent umpires and are working hard to move up the ladder in European circles. We will soon see them working World Championship games on TV