The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Don't know if it's been posted but ESPN.com's Skip Bayless wrote this when referring to why he likes the pro game better than the college game. He went on to talk about the NBA's better officiating.

"Last Sunday, I watched Kentucky's Patrick Sparks make an overtime-forcing 3-pointer that was astonishing for the wrong reasons. How did a shot that off-line bounce so softly around the rim and finally fall? Yet the shot was off-line because Sparks was rammed in midair by Michigan State's Kelvin Torbert. No, there wasn't any hand-to-hand or arm-to-arm contact. But that clearly was a shot-changing hip-check foul that was not called.

Sparks should have been shooting a free throw to win a game that Kentucky eventually lost."

Not complaining or anything I just enjoy seeing the media sticking up for us and have been surprised by how many types point out the "foul".
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Tubby, I've missed you. Great to have you back!

To begin, Skippy, when on various radio programs has called the NBA "unwatchable."

I also happen to work for an NBA evaluator of officials and recently attended a local NBA game with him. We got the opportunity to talk about the very play in question. I did not bring it up. He had been talking with his boss (and a friend of his) in the league office. They were in agreement that the no-call was the right call on this particular play. This would also have been a no-call in "the League." FWIW.

Skip Bayless, what are his credentials? Let's see. He gets PAID to have an opinion. He likes to stir things up. Ask Ohio St football fan.... Watch him on TV, listen to him on the radio, read his columns, 99% of the time he has an opposing point of view simply so he can provoke argument. Most of his points of view are not in line with the general public. Oh, let's not forget his many years of training that qualify him as an evaluator of officiating. Bayless is just another talking head.

Now, where's my popcorn?

[Edited by icallfouls on Apr 5th, 2005 at 01:25 PM]
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Skip Bayless is no more qualified than you are to assess the performance of a Div. 1 official. His OPINION, that it was a foul is just that. The media are just a bunch of talking heads that get paid to express their opinion. Now if Hank Nichols or any of the other D1 assignors were to state it was a foul, I might take more notice. Don't hold your breath.

Kentucky lost. Get over and get ready for next season.

To quote the Jurrasic One... "Lah Me"

I beat you to it

[Edited by BBall_Junkie on Apr 5th, 2005 at 01:19 PM]
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

icallfouls... you beat me to the talking head part... d@mn you!
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Ya know what?

F@ck Skip Bayless.

When did it become fashionable and even required that sports commentators and writers be viewed as experts at basketball officiating? Or officating in any sport. Even last night's game, did we really need Packer continually screaming into the mike that the officials were NOT CALLING illegal screens during the final 2 minutes of a great game? What's he really saying? "Guess what NCAA, your officials are f@cking another one up for us." But Packer isn't the only one or even the worst one. How is it that all these guys - who wouldn't otherwise know which end of the whistle to stick into their mouth - have become expert on what is and isn't illegal contact during a basketball game?

I know they have dead air & column inches to fill, let them stick to pretending to understand game strategies, making predictions about draft choices and asking Barry Bonds where he gets his steroids from. At least then they have a chance to be right every once in a while.

Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

...and you wonder why people in the know call him "Skip Clueless." He's an idiot.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Red face You are still running away from the original question.

Tubby,

I am still waiting for your rules justification for why this was a foul? Incidental contact is clearly stated in the rulebook. They also talk about "contact may be severe and not considered a foul." Where is your evidence that there was a foul? You mean the best you can do is talk about what Skip Bayliss says and he never played the sports he writes about? Now at least most people here have actually officiated a game and know why we call fouls and why we do not call fouls. Not everyone is going to agree, but I just want one rules reference or explanation. The rules talk about what a shooter is allowed to do without contact. Just please reference something that backs up your claim.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 12:51pm
In Memoriam

Well, I think that it shoulda been a team control foul on Sparks for jumping into the defender.

Now, who's wrong? Me or Bayless?

Lah me (too and two )

You really need to get a life, Tubby. Take up fishing or sumthin'. You're scary.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Karl Hess called the crew on his cell phone before the game and told them not to call a foul in those situations.

Sorry Tubby, Hess screwed you again.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Here's my impersonation of TubbyRules.......

WAAAAAAAHHHHHH !!
WAAAAAAAHHHHHH !!

THE REFS COST MY TEAM THE GAME !!!!

WAAAAAAAHHHHHH !!
WAAAAAAAHHHHHH !!

I WANT MY TEAM IN THE FINAL FOUR !!

I WANT IT
I WANT IT
I WANT IT
I WANT IT
I WANT IT
I WANT IT

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

"What I would like is for Bayless and others to occasionally use the forums they are given to do more than create controversy, which will in turn sell more newspapers, which will ultimately give them more publicity." -Bob Waldrop (columnist for ECSN and creator of "College Football Weekly")

Quote from one of Bayless's peers. This was an opp for him to create more controversy, the fact is he probably doesn't have an opinion either way. If the play had been called a "foul" I would bet you that Skippy would have written an article about the phantom foul and the refs deciding the game and blah, blah, blah. Then Tubbyrules (or should I say Tubbyeliminatedinthefourthround or TubbynoNCthisyear) would think that Skippy is an idiot too and the college refs did a great job. Either way neither of you know how to evaluate an officials performance.

He is a marginal writer and a fantastic sensationalist. To put it in context he is the Geraldo Rivera of the sporting world.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie

He is a marginal writer and a fantastic sensationalist. To put it in context he is the Geraldo Rivera of the sporting world. [/B]
Without the integrity of course.

Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

When the kid from Memphis missed the last two free throws against Louisville with no time on the clock, this astute observer, was blaming the coach for not putting any teammates in the lane spaces to support him.

Bayless is one of the worst in his business.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to add, that I believe that commentators/broadcasters should take a more responsible role in their broadcasts. When they spew their rhetoric all over the air, without any responsibility at all, they damage the game. Many kids, as well as fans and even some coaches, only know the rules based on what they hear on the T.V. If I hear another announcer call for an over the back foul, or a travel violation on a designated spot throw-in, I think I would pull my hair out, had I not already shaven it all off. I think it would help the games at all levels if we monitored what these self proclaimed experts say, and maybe give some type of disclaimer each time they step on it. I am not trying to curb their opinions, but, I don't think anything they say should be accepted as fact, especially, when most of the time they are so obviously wrong. JMHO.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Here's my impersonation of TubbyRules.......

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
I WANT MY TEAM IN THE FINAL FOUR !!

I WANT IT
I WANT IT
I WANT IT
I WANT IT
I WANT IT
I WANT IT

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!
Yes, Veruca, right away.