The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Patrick

Patrick

Saw schedule for Indoor Cup in Amsterdam next month. Although we do not work together, I have a game after you. If you have any clout, maybe you can get us a game together. Look forward to meeting you

Larry White
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Long time no see around here. Larry.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Patrick

Saw schedule for Indoor Cup in Amsterdam next month. Although we do not work together, I have a game after you. If you have any clout, maybe you can get us a game together. Look forward to meeting you

Larry White
Hi Larry,

I'm not Patrick, but... we (you&I) are working together. See scedule on saturday 16:10 - 17:00...

I'm also looking forward meeting you and the crew from the "new, promised land".
Never knew Paddy was attending to this forum too!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Indoor Cup

Hi Alex

I thought the name Alex was for a girl from the Oregon area that is going with us. She sometimes uses April and sometimes uses Alex. Glad to be working with somone from your area. It is always great to meet new people and make new friends. See you in a couple of weeks.

Larry
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Long time no see around here. Larry.
Scott,

There hasn't been very much fun to comment on since our friend from California quit his remarks about Cat crow hopping. It was kind of fun to bait him and then sit back and see what happened. Since then I have kept kind of quiet.

Larry
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 05:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hi Alex

I thought the name Alex was for a girl from the Oregon area that is going with us. She sometimes uses April and sometimes uses Alex. Glad to be working with somone from your area. It is always great to meet new people and make new friends. See you in a couple of weeks.

Larry
I'm a dutch male. And there are more ways to shorten Alexander. We'll see euchother next week

Sander

Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Larry,

we can always ask our UIC if we can do a game on sunday, that schedule hasn't been set yet.
I just want to point out one small thing, the tournament will be at a place called Schiedam very lose to Rotterdam and not Amsterdam, if you look it up it will probably seem very close to you but for us there is a big difference (and for the people living in Rotterdam and Amsterdam there is too, there is a lot of rivalry between the 2 cities especially soccer wise).

I will see you in a couple of weeks, have a great new year.

Patrick

PS. Sander it might be easier to just use the same handle that you use on other boards
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Pant color

Patrick and Alex:

One question. We got our shirts yesterday. Navy blue. We were told to bring navy pants. That combination doesn't look great. Is navy pant what we are supposed to bring?

Thanks

PS my email is [email protected]
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

pant color

Hi Larry,

Yep, blue pant it is.
The dutch baseball and softball-union is a small union in the Neth.'s So there isn't a lot of money from the state for our sports. Now the umpires in the two sports are really the last group to put some money in. A view years ago we got new shirts, navy blue. Just as the baseball-ump's are used to wear. At that moment we had to wear them with navy pants.
Last summer we've got new pants (grey, again just as the baseball-ump's). Now we look just the same as an baseball umpire. A large group softball-umpires, inc. our national UIC, don't want to wear the grey pants. We are NOT baseball umpires, don't want to look like them!
So, we still use our old navy pant, together with the navy shirts. But I admit it's very blue...
Don't get me wrong, I'm greatfull for the "gift". But why should we give up our identity in our uniform?

Paddy, you've got my mail about Honig's Europe this friday? please repley on it. And than you can explain what you mean in your first post...

Have all a happy/save NewYear
Sander

Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Pants

Hi Larry,

just to add to what Alex wrote, one of the reasons that we don't wear gray is because in international softball (read ESF and ISF) you are supposed to wear navy blue pants and light blue shirt. The rules that we normally play by are ISF rules (translated into dutch off course) so that makes us wear the same colors.
Our federation took our light blue shirts several years ago and made us wear the same as the baseball umpires, just last year they gave us grey pants as well. And just like Alex said some feel like we look to much like baseball umpires now and don't like it at all. It doesn't make a big difference to me, but then again I was the only umpire at our last meeting to say so. The rest wanted to go back to navy blue.
Hope that answers your question.
Maybe for next year the organisation can aarange light blue shirts, but that won't make a difference this year.
BTW reading some websites I see that a lot of federations don't have strict dress code. From what I read if you are doing ASA one state requires navy blue and another requires grey or is there a logic in it.

Bye,
Patrick
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
From what I read if you are doing ASA one state requires navy blue and another requires grey or is there a logic in it.
Strictly personal opinion.

I think it is a lack of intestinal fortitude. Six/seven years ago, when the different uniforms began being used at the local levels, I was told the allowance for the heather gray was due to the number of ASA umpires which also worked HS & collegiate ball, even though at that time, and to the best of my knowledge, NCAA's official uniform does not include gray pants.

Personally, I have a problem with this as those who work the other organizations certainly make enough money to afford the purchase of their official uniform as opposed to ASA-only umpires meeting dual standards.

There was also the issue that umpires wanted to have multiple combinations so they could look cool, like the MLB umpires. My feeling is if you want to look like a baseball umpire, go work baseball.

Then there are those who claim the gray pants are much cooler, temperature wise. My belief is that the material, regardless of color, will hold the heat between the fabric and legs. If you want "cooler", get off the dirt at every opportunity and stand on the grass whenever possible. While the lighter color MAY reflect the sun better than the blue, I don't think it will not deter the reflection of the sun off the surface of the field.

I just wish ASA would pick one uniform and stick with it. The choice should have nothing to do with other org (NCAA, NFHS, etc.) or other games like baseball. The selection should be based on the organization's umpire signature. We are "blue" and we should wear blue.

JMHO
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

navy blue

Sorry guys, i didn't mean to get a forum started, just wanted to clarify. I have both navy and gray and have no problem wearing whatever. Just did not want to bring both due to lack of space. I really have to leave room in my luggage for items that my wife buys while there to bring back.

Really looking forward to this trip. I will buy both of you a beer while there.

Larry
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really looking forward to this trip. I will buy both of you a beer while there.

Larry
Now, here it's 02:30h 01/01/07 I'm loaded with Champange. Can't see any beer, but I'll guess that will be forgotten on the 12th
Happy New Year everybody!!!

Larry, we'll drink at Schiedam at friendship and the love for the sport...

Sander

Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex
Larry, we'll drink at Schiedam at friendship and the love for the sport...

Sander
Alex:

AMEN
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Strictly personal opinion.

I think it is a lack of intestinal fortitude. Six/seven years ago, when the different uniforms began being used at the local levels, I was told the allowance for the heather gray was due to the number of ASA umpires which also worked HS & collegiate ball, even though at that time, and to the best of my knowledge, NCAA's official uniform does not include gray pants.

Personally, I have a problem with this as those who work the other organizations certainly make enough money to afford the purchase of their official uniform as opposed to ASA-only umpires meeting dual standards.

There was also the issue that umpires wanted to have multiple combinations so they could look cool, like the MLB umpires. My feeling is if you want to look like a baseball umpire, go work baseball.

Then there are those who claim the gray pants are much cooler, temperature wise. My belief is that the material, regardless of color, will hold the heat between the fabric and legs. If you want "cooler", get off the dirt at every opportunity and stand on the grass whenever possible. While the lighter color MAY reflect the sun better than the blue, I don't think it will not deter the reflection of the sun off the surface of the field.

I just wish ASA would pick one uniform and stick with it. The choice should have nothing to do with other org (NCAA, NFHS, etc.) or other games like baseball. The selection should be based on the organization's umpire signature. We are "blue" and we should wear blue.

JMHO
wrt "I just wish ASA would pick one uniform and stick with it."
That would be great if all sanctions could agree on one uniform and more importantly, stop changing it every time they get a chance. Even if some NCAA umpires make enough to pay for extra uniforms, most have more useful purposes for it and some actually need the income. I really don't care what color or what uniform we wear and I'm certainly not concerned about what color shirt looks more fashionable with what color pants. The point is it being uniform and "uniform" means same. If we all wore the same, then the uniformity would be apparent and the players and coaches would accept not only our appearance, but our consistency as well. We are on the field to work, not model. I'm really tired of buying and maintaining multiple "sets of clothes"; then having to replace them all every time some manufacturer takes a bigwig out to lunch in Oklahoma City or Indianapolis.
BTW, anyone who thinks the MLB umps look cool, with their white swoop shoes and non-matching jackets, should not have a say in what we wear.

Also, it is the fabric and not the color that makes the most difference.