Thread: Patrick
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'm one of those guys who work multiple sanctioning bodies. I think I'm coming to the opinion that I'd like to see a separate uniform for each. I wear the navy trousers for college and ASA. I wear gray trousers for everyone else - and that includes college, high school, ASA, PONY, and a few baseball groups.
I spend whatever it takes to have good looking uniforms - that's got to be the easiest high mark on any evaluation as I'm in complete control of that.
I did a high school state final one year where one of the umps didn't bother to spend to have a good looking uniform. One of the comments that was made was how could everything else with his appearance look so bad and his shirt look brand new - it's because I loaned him one of my shirts.
My choice be given, I prefer the navy pants. I don't care whether the grays are cooler. When you sweat the way I do, gray pants become two-tone - and that detracts from the appearance. The navy does not show that. Both show dust/dirt equally.
I was at that national Mike uic'd. You should have heard the annoyance (another word for whining) over only having one uniform because not everyone there could meet the standard for two uniforms. I was annoyed - I had taken the time to carry uniforms to the dressing room that I couldn't use - let's call that wasted tiem...... Mike's saying he was not impressed is just a bit of an understatement.

btw Cecil - Folks umpiring NCAA games are making well over $100 per double header, sometimes even over $200. While not well-paid when compared to football or basketball, that's not a bad extra inclome. In my case, I'm taking vacation time, so I get my regular paycheck in addition to the college & high school fees. We can afford different uniforms that used by high school umps - and personally, I want to look different than a high school ump when I'm working a college game.