Thread: Patrick
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
wrt "I just wish ASA would pick one uniform and stick with it."
That would be great if all sanctions could agree on one uniform and more importantly, stop changing it every time they get a chance. Even if some NCAA umpires make enough to pay for extra uniforms, most have more useful purposes for it and some actually need the income. I really don't care what color or what uniform we wear and I'm certainly not concerned about what color shirt looks more fashionable with what color pants. The point is it being uniform and "uniform" means same. If we all wore the same, then the uniformity would be apparent and the players and coaches would accept not only our appearance, but our consistency as well. We are on the field to work, not model. I'm really tired of buying and maintaining multiple "sets of clothes"; then having to replace them all every time some manufacturer takes a bigwig out to lunch in Oklahoma City or Indianapolis.
BTW, anyone who thinks the MLB umps look cool, with their white swoop shoes and non-matching jackets, should not have a say in what we wear.

Also, it is the fabric and not the color that makes the most difference.
Personally, as an ASA umpire, I don't give a damn what you wear for other sanctioning bodies. It is not my responsibility, nor should it be at my expense, to carry additional uniforms because YOU want to work other games sanctioned by other associations.

Just recently, as a UIC, I set a uniform for a tournament. In spite of my personal opinion, I allowed for powder over navy and navy over gray. I made this known to all selected umpires and specifically asked all to inform me if they did not have any part of the optional uniforms.

The only response was from one umpire who did not have a navy shirt and asked if he should buy one. I strongly suggested he contact other umpires to borrow a shirt. He did not know any umpires with a navy shirt, so he purchased one.

Come the tournament when asked about uniform availability, two or three informed me they did not have gray pants. I had no choice, but to discount the use of anything other than powder over gray. I was not impressed that those umpires did not just answer my question so I could inform the others. Meanwhile, this umpire purchase a shirt for which he has no use.

Again, I'm referring to ASA softball. I don't give a damn what other associations do. ASA umpires should not be responsible to adjust to benefit others who choose to work the games of another sanctioning body.