The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

How much do you allow from coaches?

I know there are no absolutes with this, but I would like to know where you draw the line on chatter from the coaches.

Seems like it's getting worse now that the season is almost over. Almost had a little chit-chat with a coach last nite, but game ended before I took any real action.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Depends on so many things. I'm not thin-skinned, but personal insult or disparagement is my hot button. They're gone. Same for obscenity. I usually ignore a certain level of routine, nonpersonal profanity in men's SP, but not in youth leagues.

I allow some general chirping about calls, but if it's constant, I stop it. Again, many factors come into play.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I think a lot depends on what level of ball you are calling. The higher the level of ball, the less you usually hear (but there's always the bad apples)

In most cases, I'll let the coach vent to me as long as they are not trying to show me up. If they keep chirping from the dugout area, I'll call time and let them know that if they have something they would wish to discuss with me, we can do that at this time. After that is over, if they continue yelling stuff from the dugout, then we'll have another discussion and i'll promptly tell them that he had his chance to discuss whatever play it was with me and that our conversation about that is over and will not continue. If they continue, then they can chirp all they want in the parking lot. Usually after the second conversation they quiet down.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm not the best judge of this since I only do adult SP and there is almost always something that one team or the other is chirping about. I can pretty much tune out the people on the benches. It has to come to a personal remark or get loud enough to get past my normal tune out. One thing that I do not put up with if I hear it is someone swearing at me or an opposing player, if they want to swear at themselves or their own team that's up to their own team to police (exception: if the league has a casual profanity rule). I try to balance letting the player, coaches, etc. vent their frustration, usually the trouble comes from the side that is losing or a close call that doesn't go their way, and not letting too much go so that they think they can be abusive to me or another ump. Sometimes it is hard to know when that line has come, but I try to let the person know when they have reached it (if I can, they may go over the line right away ). Then it is 'shut up and play ball' or 'time to leave'.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyblue
I think a lot depends on what level of ball you are calling. The higher the level of ball, the less you usually hear (but there's always the bad apples)
This is exactly correct. I find college coaches chirp less but when they DO, you should probably listen. Of course it always helps in conversations when you "quote" the rule instead of arguing with them. On a call (safe/out for example) - if they come out to argue I simply say "Coach, from MY angle it looked to me like . . ." And it helps your case if you were in the proper position to make the call

I also find the more coaches chirp is in direct relation to their lack of rules knowledge. I also have fairly thick skin - I try to block most of it out (or filter it would be a better word) but I don't take much when they start chirping about balls/strikes.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Umpire: Coach, you aren't arguing the ball/strike calls are you?

Coach: Well, er.....no, I was just, um...

Umpire: That's good, coach. I'm sure you know that if you were, I would have to eject you and I don't want to do that. Okay, coach? Let's play some ball.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

My very best all time ejection

Me: "Coach are you arguing balls and strikes?"

He: "YES I am!"

Me: "Coach I'm going to ask you that one more time and if you say 'yes' I will eject you from the game. Coach are you arguing balls and strikes?"

He: "Yes I am."

Me: "Coach you are ejected"

He: "Why, what did I do?"

All this took place with the tournament director and the tournament UIC standing behind the backstop watch with their mouth wide open in shock.

Bugg
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
My very best all time ejection

Me: "Coach are you arguing balls and strikes?"

He: "YES I am!"

Me: "Coach I'm going to ask you that one more time and if you say 'yes' I will eject you from the game. Coach are you arguing balls and strikes?"

He: "Yes I am."

Me: "Coach you are ejected"

He: "Why, what did I do?"

All this took place with the tournament director and the tournament UIC standing behind the backstop watch with their mouth wide open in shock.

Bugg
Here's your sign!!!