The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Question

JV pregame, we meet with one coach who is supposedly the head coach of the JV. When the game commences, another coach is the one standing, coaching, and whining to the officials. Turns out, he's the head coach of the varsity. Who is the "real" JV coach or how do you handle this?
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
JV pregame, we meet with one coach who is supposedly the head coach of the JV. When the game commences, another coach is the one standing, coaching, and whining to the officials. Turns out, he's the head coach of the varsity. Who is the "real" JV coach or how do you handle this?
Ask them -- nicely.

Allow whoever they say to stand. Don't let them change after they've decided who is the coach for that game.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

It doesn't matter to me which one they choose but there can be only one head coach. If this is a JV game and the JV head coach attends the coaches meeting, then he's the head coach. Tell the other guy to sit his a$$ down.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bob confirm who the head coach is for this game and go from there.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Sound's like you were tag teamed!

If the guy in the pregame said he was the coach, then he's the coach. Sit the pseudo (varsity) coach down. If you didn't ask and he didn't say, then you have no grounds to take any action. You could do a little preventative work here and just ask. The head coach may tell you he's coaching both games. If he says the other guy is coach and he's just helping, you have the perfect chance to sit him down.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
Talking easy to handle

Whack him, then niether can stand!
Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 09:22pm
In Memoriam

Post Last year, I think

Working a District second round, I had done the same thing... met the head coach.
At some point in the 3rd quarter, maybe, I have a throw-in, and seeing the assistant coach standing while the "head coach is sitting. I went to the bench and asked the sitting coach, "You did tell me that you are the head coach, didn't you? Do you want to use the box?" The head coach said, "Oh! I'm the head coach. ...I understand. I'll use the box." These fellas did not even think about the rule.
The assistant sat the remainder of the game with no problem.
The team in question was getting blown out, and I did not feel additional action was necessary. (There was never a comment from the other team regarding who was standing.)
This was an easy fix because of that game, that night, that gym, but it was not per book.
mick
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

ask them before the game, and if they can't decide, they both can sit their a$$es down
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Had this happen last year in a girls varsity game. Both coaches were female and they were playing tag team on standing. During dead ball sitch, I asked (again), which was the head coach and one of them replied "We share everything" with an emphasis on "everything". I know this sounds sexist, but they were both really good looking. I told them that unfortunately, they could not share things tonight and only 1 could stand. They both laughed about it and one sat down and stayed seated the rest of the game. I thought their comment was funny, but my partner (female) didn't.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
According to Federation rules, the head coach must attend the pregame (captians) meeting. So, the one who attends that is the head coach.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
According to Federation rules, the head coach must attend the pregame (captians) meeting. So, the one who attends that is the head coach.
Art. 5 does not say the head coach has to attend the captain's meeting. I don't have a problem with the official assuming it is the head coach in the captain's meeting, however if you later discover it was not the Head coach then i think you have to let the head coach stand.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
sorry i mixed my rule books up