View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm not the best judge of this since I only do adult SP and there is almost always something that one team or the other is chirping about. I can pretty much tune out the people on the benches. It has to come to a personal remark or get loud enough to get past my normal tune out. One thing that I do not put up with if I hear it is someone swearing at me or an opposing player, if they want to swear at themselves or their own team that's up to their own team to police (exception: if the league has a casual profanity rule). I try to balance letting the player, coaches, etc. vent their frustration, usually the trouble comes from the side that is losing or a close call that doesn't go their way, and not letting too much go so that they think they can be abusive to me or another ump. Sometimes it is hard to know when that line has come, but I try to let the person know when they have reached it (if I can, they may go over the line right away ). Then it is 'shut up and play ball' or 'time to leave'.