The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics questions

1st year ump here.
I've been doing lots of instructional level games -- 1 umpire. I did a older, competitive level game last nite. Senior umpire rips me a new one (nicely, though) about my mechanics.
1. How far does BU come into infield on ball to outfield? He was constantly telling me to come in farther in the infield.
2. Runners on 2, 3. Line to outfield, where do I cover? Partner says that I need to be covering BR going to 1B, 2B. I thought I was to cover play at 3B.
3. Does anyone else sweep of pitcher's rubber between innings? I never learned that.

Understand, I am NOT critizing my partner. He has several years of experience and has done many tournaments. Since we don't have clinics, and I only do rec league, my mechanics are probably not very developed.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
1) Far enough to see the base(s) you need to cover and the spot where the ball is coming from and to be out of the way of runners, fielders and throws.
What was your partner saying and what were you doing would help us explain better.
2) BU has trail runner, PU has lead runner at 3rd and home. With runners on 2nd(R2) and 3rd (R1) and a BR; if the first play is home, it is PU and you have next. If the first play is 3rd, PU has it and you have R2 and BR.
3) Yes.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dave
1st year ump here.
I've been doing lots of instructional level games -- 1 umpire. I did a older, competitive level game last nite. Senior umpire rips me a new one (nicely, though) about my mechanics.

1. How far does BU come into infield on ball to outfield? He was constantly telling me to come in farther in the infield.
I have been taught to come into the infield and buttonhook at "calling depth".
Almost any play that I will need to call will be a tag play, so I want to be about 6-8' away from that play. So "calling depth" is 6-8'.

Quote:
2. Runners on 2, 3. Line to outfield, where do I cover? Partner says that I need to be covering BR going to 1B, 2B. I thought I was to cover play at 3B.
Your partner is correct. With runners at second and third, you are starting in C position behind and to the side of F6. Assuming a base hit, the PU has all runners touching at third and home. The BU needs to pick up the BR touching first, second, and then follow her to third if she goes that far. The PU has the calls at home and on the lead runner at third. The "lead runner" will change as previous runners score. Even though this is the approved coverarge, be ready to help at third in case the PU gets caught up at home and cannot get to third.

Quote:
3. Does anyone else sweep of pitcher's rubber between innings? I never learned that.
In a two-umpire system, the BU should sweep off the pitchers plate at the conclusion of each half-inning.

Edited to add - I believe these are the approved ASA mechanics. I'm sure Mike will correct if I'm wrong. You may very well get different answers to these questions, both from this board and other local umpires. Try different things, find what you like, and go with it. It is also important to find out what the local "honchos" in your area want to see.

Last edited by Andy; Wed Jun 07, 2006 at 10:59am.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1st year ump here.

Understand, I am NOT critizing my partner. He has several years of experience and has done many tournaments. Since we don't have clinics, and I only do rec league, my mechanics are probably not very developed.
What discipline of softball were you umpiring?
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Girls FP, ASA rules.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You come in far enough to stay out of the running lanes and still get a good look at the runner touching the base and close enough to the base that you are in position to make a call if there is a play.

Quote:
The PU has the lead runner, you have all others at whichever base.
Quote:

If in the area, I will sweep off the pitcher's plate, if needed.

Quote:
So, you are a "here's your shirt, here's your schedule, see you in a couple weeks" umpire school graduate.

Strongly suggest you find an ASA clinic in the fall or winter even if you need to travel a little way. If you can find a school, it will be worth it.

Good luck,
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

I think Andy and Mike have slightly different answers about R2 at 3rd.

"Assuming a base hit, the PU has all runners touching at third and home. The BU needs to pick up the BR touching first, second, and then follow her to third if she goes that far. The PU has the calls at home and on the lead runner at third. The "lead runner" will change as previous runners score. Even though this is the approved coverarge, be ready to help at third in case the PU gets caught up at home and cannot get to third."

"The PU has the lead runner, you have all others at whichever base."
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
So, you are a "here's your shirt, here's your schedule, see you in a couple weeks" umpire school graduate.
Actually, I had to order the shirt myself (I had to ask which color to buy). The clinic idea is a good one. Thanks.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,

Do you have the "umpire edition" of the ASA rule book? If you can't attend a clinic, the umpire manual in the back of that edition will answer most of your positioning questions.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'd still like to hear "What was your partner saying and what were you doing "