View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dave
1st year ump here.
I've been doing lots of instructional level games -- 1 umpire. I did a older, competitive level game last nite. Senior umpire rips me a new one (nicely, though) about my mechanics.

1. How far does BU come into infield on ball to outfield? He was constantly telling me to come in farther in the infield.
I have been taught to come into the infield and buttonhook at "calling depth".
Almost any play that I will need to call will be a tag play, so I want to be about 6-8' away from that play. So "calling depth" is 6-8'.

Quote:
2. Runners on 2, 3. Line to outfield, where do I cover? Partner says that I need to be covering BR going to 1B, 2B. I thought I was to cover play at 3B.
Your partner is correct. With runners at second and third, you are starting in C position behind and to the side of F6. Assuming a base hit, the PU has all runners touching at third and home. The BU needs to pick up the BR touching first, second, and then follow her to third if she goes that far. The PU has the calls at home and on the lead runner at third. The "lead runner" will change as previous runners score. Even though this is the approved coverarge, be ready to help at third in case the PU gets caught up at home and cannot get to third.

Quote:
3. Does anyone else sweep of pitcher's rubber between innings? I never learned that.
In a two-umpire system, the BU should sweep off the pitchers plate at the conclusion of each half-inning.

Edited to add - I believe these are the approved ASA mechanics. I'm sure Mike will correct if I'm wrong. You may very well get different answers to these questions, both from this board and other local umpires. Try different things, find what you like, and go with it. It is also important to find out what the local "honchos" in your area want to see.

Last edited by Andy; Wed Jun 07, 2006 at 10:59am.