The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Today I decided to head down to the local university and watch the mens basketball game. Awesome game with an all-star crew (Cip, Foxcroft, Hardy) for anyone who might recognize the names. They did an awesome job, made some great calls.

Now just a few things I noticed about the 3-man mechanics that I have questions on.

1. Although I thought that on fouls the calling official goes tableside, on fouls which occured in the "new" back-court there seemed to be no switching other then the trail moving to the side of the court on which the ball was to be thrown in. My question is what sort of rules govern switching after fouls.

2. In two man the non-administering official always handles subs, but in three man who's responsible for bringing the subs in?

3. Who notifies the coach and the disqualified player after 5 fouls?

It was an awesome game, close throughout, but the home team ended up winning. As I said earlier there were great calls, the referees really used the advantage/disadvantage, and had strong court presence. Hopefully someday I'll be up at that level making the great calls like they did.

And one other thing for anyone who officiates CIS womens rules. I thought that the official wasn't supposed to handle the ball on back-court violations, but in the part of the womens game I say today, it was handled in my mind very inconsistantly, sometimes the officials would handle the ball, others they didn't. What's the rule regarding this??

Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

1. On the endline or sideline, the T always administers the throw-in.

2. Usually it's the tableside T or C when the ball is in the half court. If the officials are spread fuul court, the C usually gets the subs.

3. The calling offiical usually notifies the coach since he stays tableside.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Ref18 and I have talked about this before, and it seems Louisiana is the only state to have its own rules. Here in a 3-whistle game, the ref that calls the foul goes opposite of the table. I wonder why.

[Edited by brandan89 on Feb 2nd, 2005 at 11:02 PM]
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Today I decided to head down to the local university and watch the mens basketball game. Awesome game with an all-star crew (Cip, Foxcroft, Hardy) for anyone who might recognize the names. They did an awesome job, made some great calls.
Did he give you a 3 pack of whistles for the good words?
Quote:

Now just a few things I noticed about the 3-man mechanics that I have questions on.

1. Although I thought that on fouls the calling official goes tableside, on fouls which occured in the "new" back-court there seemed to be no switching other then the trail moving to the side of the court on which the ball was to be thrown in. My question is what sort of rules govern switching after fouls.
No switch (everyone will slide) *unless* you shoot free throws. If FTs then the calling official goes table side
Quote:

2. In two man the non-administering official always handles subs, but in three man who's responsible for bringing the subs in?

Whoever is closest, usually T table side or C opposite
Quote:

3. Who notifies the coach and the disqualified player after 5 fouls?

Really depends on who is in the least deep sh1t with the coach Calling official is fine, whoever is at tableside is fine. For instance, in my game tonight my partner who T'ed the coach ran over to tell the coach that the foul I called was #5. I put up a hand and told him to stay put, I got it. [quote][b]
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

But on any foul in the "old" frontcourt that caused the ball to go the other way, they didn't seem to switch. If the 'new' T called the foul opposite side, he remained opposite side to administer the throw-in.

I thought they should've gone tableside but they didn't and this type of situation happened a few times, and it was handled the same way each time.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
But on any foul in the "old" frontcourt that caused the ball to go the other way, they didn't seem to switch. If the 'new' T called the foul opposite side, he remained opposite side to administer the throw-in.

I thought they should've gone tableside but they didn't and this type of situation happened a few times, and it was handled the same way each time.
You mentioned CIS womens, whatever that is, so I might not be on the same page.

But for ncaa-m if there's a foul on the offense there is no switch at all, we stay put. Unless FT's are to be shot, then the calling official goes table side.

So unless you're in the bonus no one sitches.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

For the questions I posted, I was referring to CIS mens rules which are NCAA mens rules with a few minor modifications.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Ref18 and I have talked about this before, and it seems Louisiana is the only state to have its own rules. Here in a 3-whistle game, the ref that calls the foul goes opposite of the table. I wonder why.

[Edited by brandan89 on Feb 2nd, 2005 at 11:02 PM]
I say rules, but what I mean is the rotations and such.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
CIS is the Canadian equivalent of the NCAA. Interestingly, NAIA actually has a few Canadian schools.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCurrie
Quote:
CIS is the Canadian equivalent of the NCAA. Interestingly, NAIA actually has a few Canadian schools.
Does the NAIA still have Canadian schools in it?? I know that SFU used to be in the NAIA but I thought they came back to the CIS??
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Hey Julian,

Hopefully I can help since I ref these rules:

1. Backcourt fouls going frontcourt are treated like a violation. No switch unless you're shooting free throws in which case the calling official goes tableside.

2. Subs are handled according to the way the crew chief pre-gamed. You can either have the opposite official from the table, opposite official from the ball or the tableside official handle the subs unless you're "going long" in which case you'd pass it off to the C.

3. Calling official can notify about the 5th foul, but if the play could be controversial, then that official has the option of going opposite.

The CIS women's backcourt no-handle rule for violations have a few exceptions. Jump balls, subs, disallowed basket (goes in after a violation), shot clock violation or any extended delays are always handled.

SFU is definitely in the CIS playing in Canada West for the past 5 seasons. No Canadian university plays in the NAIA any longer.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's the old mechanic. LA probably just decided to wait until the new officials' manual is released next year to make the change.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Ref
I put up a hand and told him to stay put, I got it.
Ouch!
Dan...if another official had done that to you would you have felt like you were just "big-timed".

Having said that, I've done the same thing to youngsters before.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
That's the old mechanic. LA probably just decided to wait until the new officials' manual is released next year to make the change.
Nope. Go to lhsaa.org and read their manual. Center always opposite the table, no rotations. Like three man, but from 1989.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

No long switch

Quote:

This is called "no long switch" and it's also part of the NFHS mechanics this year.