The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

As a Referee, do you give the untimed down signal before blowing the RFP for extra points? At our state camp, they told us not to give the signal but many of the R's around our state still give the signal.

I was watching a HS game on TV and the R gave the dead ball signal then the failure to wear signal. The play was stopped just prior to the snap. I thought the signals given would be dead ball, unsportsmanslike, failure to wear signals. They marked off 7 1/2 yards from the 15 on the offense. Should this be a five yard penalty or is there another foul for this signal?
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

If it was the 15 yarder, it should have gotten the USC signal as well as the failure to wear signal.

I always signal the untimed down (aka Laugh In's Fickle Finger of Fate Award) signal for a try and have never been told not to.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

If the play is stopped just prior to the snap for failure to wear equipment, the signals are: dead ball, delay of game, failure to wear equipment. The penalty is 5 yards.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Does anyone do the Delay of Game signal like it shows in the book?

Most of the ones I've seen have one arm on top of the other- not criss-crossed.

Just wondering.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

It's only a 5 yard penalty and not an unsportsmanlike foul.

It calls for a unique sequence of signals (as per the NF book) of S7,S21 and S23). Must confess, I did not recall this was a special sequence of signals. Don't see any purpose for the Delay signal.

Not normally the R, but we do use the untimed down signals on Try downs.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

What is the untimed down signal?
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tchaap
What is the untimed down signal?
I think it's the equivalent to baseball's "homerun" signal. Finger straight in the air making a little circle.

"Touch'em all!!!"
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 09:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMcCarthy
Does anyone do the Delay of Game signal like it shows in the book?

Most of the ones I've seen have one arm on top of the other- not criss-crossed.

Just wondering.
I do. Otherwise I feel like Barbara Eden blinking in I Dream Of Jeannie.

Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

I always use the untimed down signal. The problem is that none of the announcers know what that signal is. We have extended periods for accepted fouls. The announcer normally doesn't understand what is going and why we didn't change ends. One time the clock operator just reset the clock to 12:00 and started it on the untimed down. Then we changed ends and he reset it again and we went on.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 09:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
It's only a 5 yard penalty and not an unsportsmanlike foul.

It calls for a unique sequence of signals (as per the NF book) of S7,S21 and S23). Must confess, I did not recall this was a special sequence of signals. Don't see any purpose for the Delay signal.

Not normally the R, but we do use the untimed down signals on Try downs.
--------------
We are assessing 15 directly to the head coach for USC for failure to HAVE required equipment. Big thing around here has been for kids to play without tail pads. Say it makes them faster. We are assessing 5 for failure to snap up, etc., but personally I just try to tell them to snap up and prevent the penalty. Some guys are hard-nosed about this and will flag instead.

I thought I was the only person on earth who gave the delay signal on the five yard foul. The only importance I see to this is that in NFHS the clock will start on the snap if this penalty is accepted -- as it does on ALL delay penalties.

Rich
Old Sat Oct 18, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly. That's why you give the delay signal.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2003, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I give the "Fickle Finger of Fate" signal. Never been told not to.

If we see a mouthguard out, etc. prior to the snap, we stop it and it is 5 yds. (Preventive officiating.)

I give the signal for delay as shown in the book. Everyone knows what I am signaling.

I made up a card for our association that we give to each school's press box for use by the announcer and clock operator. It is 8 1/2" by 11" laminated. On one side is the NF "General Instructions For Football Clock Operators." (get it at the NF web site) On the other side we have the NFS/NCAA Official Football Signals (from the rules book) and the rules for our state's "mercy rule." This has been very successful as a PR tool for our association and the mercy rule instructions for the clock operator have been very helpful to all. It cost us about $1.80 at Kinko's to have each one made. A very good investment and we leave it with the school. They appreciate it. Now, if we can just get the announcers to look at the signals and make correct announcements of the fouls!