The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Double Base - Foul Territory

ASA Men's 12" SP - Double Base at 1B

Batter hits a hot shot to F3 - Ball bounces off F3 into foul territory - F3 retrieves ball and dives back touching orange (foul) side of bag just ahead of BR - I call BR "OUT" - Get big argument that the fielder cannot use orange part of bag, but as I read the rule the fielder can use the orange part when making a play from foul territory.

Was I correct?
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Correctomundo. (This board does not allow me to simply type "Correct." Says the post is too short. OOO board.)
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Correct ruling. Force play made from foul territory.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah? Oh, I guess you are right.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
Yeah? Oh, I guess you are right.
I guess he is

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu May 11, 2006, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Correctomundo. (This board does not allow me to simply type "Correct." Says the post is too short. OOO board.)
Affirmative. You are CORRECT!!
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify: This is not the case in NFHS. The defense may only use the orange portion of the base if a thrown from foul ground or if an errant or missed throw pulls the defensive player into foul ground. 8-10-2.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
Just to clarify: This is not the case in NFHS. The defense may only use the orange portion of the base if a thrown from foul ground or if an errant or missed throw pulls the defensive player into foul ground. 8-10-2.
Seems to me that is exactly what everyone stated.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Editorial comment: NFHS needs to get serious about the double base, or just forget it entirely. They have been sneaking up on it for years. They finally moved it into the rule book proper, but left it as by state association adoption. I don't know if that means they also do not think it completely through, but if your interp is correct for NFHS (I agree it is how the rule reads), then I guess they want the players crossing paths in this situation.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Editorial comment: NFHS needs to get serious about the double base, or just forget it entirely. They have been sneaking up on it for years. They finally moved it into the rule book proper, but left it as by state association adoption. I don't know if that means they also do not think it completely through, but if your interp is correct for NFHS (I agree it is how the rule reads), then I guess they want the players crossing paths in this situation.
I wouldn't doubt that the reason the Fed is slow moving to completely accept it is because they fear "forcing" schools to buy new equipment and the thousand excuses why it cannot happen here or there.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Seems to me that is exactly what everyone stated.
The thread started with the situation of a batted ball bouncing off F3 into foul territory. According to NFHS rules, the use of the orange bag by the defense is only mentioned along with a throw by the defense.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
The thread started with the situation of a batted ball bouncing off F3 into foul territory. According to NFHS rules, the use of the orange bag by the defense is only mentioned along with a throw by the defense.
I guess that's like the difference between an overthrow and the ball getting away from a fielder making a play.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Let's write a rule, preferably copied verbatim from PONY except saying "foul-side, outside or colored" instead of "orange" and add it to the list WMB was going to present.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What can I say, you're dealing with NFHS
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Could someone briefly explain what the orange base is? My 10-year-old daughter is playing softball for the first time and I've never seen the "double" base at first before. And, of course, I was asked to coach first base last game.

What is its purpose? Is either part supposed to be in foul territory? Does the runner have to stay on the white part? If not, doesn't that give them an extra step toward second base? Can the ball pass over either part and still be fair?

I know nothing here, so help me out please? Thanks.