The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Ok guys, I'm a basketball official who enjoys occasionally checking in on you guys to help me learn rules as I'm coaching an 11 year old baseball team. We do have some league rules that apply but mostly go with HS rules.

Here's my question: last night, our 3rd baseman was straddling the bag while holding the runner. His right foot was in foul territory when the pitcher pitched. The plate ump called time while the pitch was on the way and said it was a dead ball and called a balk and scored the runner from 3rd. I know everyone (except the catcher) must be in fair territory when the ball is pitched, but did this ump make the right call. I couldn't say anything because I don't know the penalty for violating the rule.

I hope I've explained clearly. Please advise.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Ok guys, I'm a basketball official who enjoys occasionally checking in on you guys to help me learn rules as I'm coaching an 11 year old baseball team. We do have some league rules that apply but mostly go with HS rules.

Here's my question: last night, our 3rd baseman was straddling the bag while holding the runner. His right foot was in foul territory when the pitcher pitched. The plate ump called time while the pitch was on the way and said it was a dead ball and called a balk and scored the runner from 3rd. I know everyone (except the catcher) must be in fair territory when the ball is pitched, but did this ump make the right call. I couldn't say anything because I don't know the penalty for violating the rule.

Well the umpire ALMOST had it right!

In Federation baseball, having one foot in fair territory is allowed.

The umpire did get the penalty correct, though.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you are using FED rules, the umpire was wrong.

FED 1-1-4 At the time of the pitch, all fielders shall be on fair ground except the catcher who shall be in the catcher's box. A fielder is in fair ground when at least one foot is touching fair ground. (my emphasis)
PENTALY; Illegal pitch (2-18-1)

This is why it is so important to know what rules you are playing by or enforcing. In OBR, the fielder must have both feet in fair territory to make the ball live.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Quote:

If you are using FED rules, the umpire was wrong.

FED 1-1-4 At the time of the pitch, all fielders shall be on fair ground except the catcher who shall be in the catcher's box. A fielder is in fair ground when at least one foot is touching fair ground. (my emphasis)
PENTALY; Illegal pitch (2-18-1)

This is why it is so important to know what rules you are playing by or enforcing. In OBR, the fielder must have both feet in fair territory to make the ball live.
However, in OBR , the penalty is "don't do that."
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Even if played under OBR, the umpire did NOT get the penalty correct. If a fielder is playing with one foot in foul territory, professional instruction is that the infraction be ignored unless and until the opposing team complains, and then the rule should be enforced strictly for both teams.

Enforced means the ball shall not be put in play until the fielder has both feet in fair territory. There is no balk penalty. Those who believe the penalty is a balk are misreading or mis-parsing the paragraph breaks in Rule 4.03.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley
Even if played under OBR, the umpire did NOT get the penalty correct. If a fielder is playing with one foot in foul territory, professional instruction is that the infraction be ignored unless and until the opposing team complains, and then the rule should be enforced strictly for both teams.

Enforced means the ball shall not be put in play until the fielder has both feet in fair territory. There is no balk penalty. Those who believe the penalty is a balk are misreading or mis-parsing the paragraph breaks in Rule 4.03.
Sorry, what is OBR?
Could somebody post the rule so I can read it? Thanks
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

You can find the official baseball rules on mlb.com, just search for official baseball rules on the main page, then scroll to the bottom of the search results page.

Here's the rule anyway:

Rule
When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory. (a) The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher's box until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. PENALTY: Balk. (b) The pitcher, while in the act of delivering the ball to the batter, shall take his legal position; (c) Except the pitcher and the catcher, any fielder may station himself anywhere in fair territory; (d) Except the batter, or a runner attempting to score, no offensive player shall cross the catcher's lines when the ball is in play.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

OBR = Official Baseball Rules

The link is to section 4.00. 4.03 is the section you want.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley

Sorry, what is OBR?
Could somebody post the rule so I can read it? Thanks
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
You can find the official baseball rules on mlb.com, just search for official baseball rules on the main page, then scroll to the bottom of the search results page.

Here's the rule anyway:

Rule
When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory. (a) The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher's box until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. PENALTY: Balk. (b) The pitcher, while in the act of delivering the ball to the batter, shall take his legal position; (c) Except the pitcher and the catcher, any fielder may station himself anywhere in fair territory; (d) Except the batter, or a runner attempting to score, no offensive player shall cross the catcher's lines when the ball is in play.
OK..let's get this straight once and for all (OBR rules). There are some of us out there (me included) that says the "fielder's balk" is not a balk at all, but like jicecone said, a "don't do that." There are then others who would say that Chris' sitch calls for a balk to be called. I don't have the books (Stan, if you read this please respond because I know you do!), but does J/R or any of the other "interpretation" books have an actual ruling or explanation on this?
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44

OK..let's get this straight once and for all (OBR rules). There are some of us out there (me included) that says the "fielder's balk" is not a balk at all, but like jicecone said, a "don't do that." There are then others who would say that Chris' sitch calls for a balk to be called.
No one (at least no one credible) is saying that this play is a balk under OBR. IF the fielder had both feet in foul territory it would be a balk under FED (by rule -- I'd try to fix it before it happened).

1 foot in foul: Legal in FED, nothing in OBR unless someone complains, then require both feet in fair

2 feet in foul: Illegal Pitch in FED, nothing in OBR unless someone complains, then require both feet in fair.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue

Here's the rule anyway:

Rule
OK..let's get this straight once and for all (OBR rules). There are some of us out there (me included) that says the "fielder's balk" is not a balk at all, but like jicecone said, a "don't do that." There are then others who would say that Chris' sitch calls for a balk to be called. I don't have the books (Stan, if you read this please respond because I know you do!), but does J/R or any of the other "interpretation" books have an actual ruling or explanation on this?
There is NO interpretation necessary.

NFHS Rule 1.1.4 pg 9 2005 clearly states the infraction and penalty.

OBR 4.03 refers to "fielders other than catchers", with no penalty stated, and 4.03a talks about the catcher staying in his box, with the penalty specified.

Not much to interpret here.

NCAA ????? don't have my book.