The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

IP with F6 in Foul territory prior to the pitch

14U Tight Game. 1 out and R1 on 2nd. ASA Rules

Defense is in tight to cover the bunt. F3 and F6 moved up prior to the pitch.

Pitcher releases the ball and the batter bunts up the third base line.
Batter-runner takes off toward 1st as I follow the ball F6 (Who hasn't moved since before the pitch) sets up to field a fast moving bunt up the third base line. She is straddling the third base line with her right foot about 12 inches outside the line.

After looking this up I should have called an Illegal pitch, but not being sure about the penalty I kept my mouth shut.

How would you have handled this in a normal situation if you had not spotted the field positioning till after the batter has made contact with the ball and you are positive that the fielder had not moved into foul territory after the pitch had been delivered?

Last edited by Rattlehead; Fri May 05, 2006 at 05:33pm.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead
... snip ... How would you have handled this in a normal situation if you had not spotted the field positioning till after the batter has made contact with the ball and you are positive that the fielder had not moved into foul territory after the pitch had been delivered?
If you didn't see it at the time you can't call it. After the pitch, if you realize two fielders were in the dugout; it's too late.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
14U Tight Game. 1 out and R1 on 2nd. ASA Rules

Defense is in tight to cover the bunt. F3 and F6 moved up prior to the pitch.

Pitcher releases the ball and the batter bunts up the third base line.
Batter-runner takes off toward 1st as I follow the ball F6 (Who hasn't moved since before the pitch) sets up to field a fast moving bunt up the third base line. She is straddling the third base line with her right foot about 12 inches outside the line.

After looking this up I should have called an Illegal pitch, but not being sure about the penalty I kept my mouth shut.

How would you have handled this in a normal situation if you had not spotted the field positioning till after the batter has made contact with the ball and you are positive that the fielder had not moved into foul territory after the pitch had been delivered?

Speaking ASA

The call is "no pitch". You cannot have a legal pitch until all defenders with the exception of the catcher. ASA 6.5.A
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
I actually had a coach in a HS game last week instruct F5 to set up in foul territory, completely . I quickly informed him that was not an option. So he instructed F5 to start in fair and move at the release of the pitch. Anyone care to guess where the ball was bunted? If you guessed: where F5 was positioned prior to the pitch you are correct. DMC
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

Not to disagree but section 6.5.A says nothing about a "no pitch", but under effect of sections 1-8 it says any violation of sections 1-8 (including 6.5.A) would be called an IP.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike,

Not to disagree but section 6.5.A says nothing about a "no pitch", but under effect of sections 1-8 it says any violation of sections 1-8 (including 6.5.A) would be called an IP.
If the pitcher is not allowed to pitch the ball until all defenders save the catcher are in fair territory, how can you have a pitch.

The umpire's job is to make sure all parameters are met prior to allowing the ball into play. If there is a need to call an IP, it means the umpire isn't doing their job.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike. I tell the player (or coach, as necessary) they must start in fair territory. I call an illegal pitch only if they then defy me.

Reminds me of a slapper I had once who insisted she didn't need to start in the batters box, could start behind as long as she was in the box at time of contact. 18 Gold team, where they know it all. So, I let her bat her way, then called her out per the rule for an illegally batted ball.

Next time by, the head coach thanked me, since she had been disagreeing with him about it, too.