The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

The state of the game.

I know that I shouldn't let this bother me, but somehow, it does. Last night I was working a 4A HS game between a team that is undefeated in district play, and a team that is in its first year of play. The undefeated team has lots of depth, including three very capable pitchers, but the coach of this team decided to pitch her ace. I thought that this was a little overkill, because team B couldn't keep pace with her number three pitcher. But, that isn't my call. I was the BU, and hadn't been in the field with either of these teams this season. Anyway, right off the bat, I notice that Team A's pitcher is lifting the pivot and replanting, not the typical crow hop, but more of a step to gain advantage. Of course I call "illegal," and the coach of team A comes out and asks what her pitcher did. I told her. The game goes on. About five pitches later, I again see the illegal action, and call it. To make a long story short, this happened a few more times, me calling it every time.

After the game, I was talking to the husband of the coach of Team A, who I have known for some time, and asked him when Team A's pitcher had developed this "bad habit." He told me that his wife was coaching all of her pitchers to do this, to see what they could get away with, and that I was the only one who had called so far this season. He also told me that his wife had gotten the idea from her college days, where her coach taught the pitchers to gain an advantage until they were called for it, and the runners to leave early until they were called for it. To me, it is sad to know that there are "professionals," even folks who I otherwise hold in high esteem, who are coaching players to cheat.

Thanks for letting me vent.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Is it cheating if the umpire doesn't call it?
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fastpitch Send a message via MSN to fastpitch
Went to a national coaching clinic where the D1 NCAA coaches were talking about leadoffs on steals - consensus was "If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin"
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitch
Went to a national coaching clinic where the D1 NCAA coaches were talking about leadoffs on steals - consensus was "If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin"
And you wonder why some youth of this country have a feeling of entitlement. The "if it's not nailed down, it must belong to me" attitude is not a very good report on the parenting skills of our society.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fastpitch Send a message via MSN to fastpitch
Knowing the rules and taking advantage in a game is a far cry from teaching cheating. In the first post I think the coach gains nothing but an opportunity to have her pitcher lose her focus. Getting girls to be aggressive baserunners is a challenge with most leaving late. Tue night our catcher told me she had made a somewhat colorful remark after a girl slid into her and knocked the ball out at the plate. In no uncetain terms I told her she'd better never do that again and in the team meeting reiterated that no one on the team will ever use foul language or direct disparaging remarks to the other team or the umpires. The other team's 3B had been doing that toward our dugout toward the latter part of the game. As a coach, that is just an opportunity for me to bring it to the attention of the BU and hopefully gain an advantage. I'd be interested to hear where you guys draw the line on disqualification for foul language.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

How was it that we had pick-up games in vacant lots, obviously with no officials, and got along okay. Sure that's where "ties go to the runner" was okay, but overall, it worked.

I think the presents of officials seem to make people think they are no longer responsible for their own actions and for staying inside the rules. It is the official's responsibility to make them stay there.

I don't even have to explain "the runner left early" anymore. I just call "no pitch", point at the base and give the out signal. They know they are pushing it.

I think I saw on here someone post that a coach said, "You're just looking for stuff." The poster replied, "Yep, that's my job."
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
. I'd be interested to hear where you guys draw the line on disqualification for foul language.
I don't tolerate the F-word at all esp loud enough for the crowd to notice.
I will quietly warn the offender and her coach for other foul language once. It is usually enough. Some players don't listen and get DQd. Other coaches have benched players themselves.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Is it cheating if the umpire doesn't call it?
How about it's cheating only if the umpire doesn't call it?
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And you wonder why some youth of this country have a feeling of entitlement. The "if it's not nailed down, it must belong to me" attitude is not a very good report on the parenting skills of our society.
Skills and even more to the point, effort and example.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, if every player and every coach followed every rule, every time, they wouldn't need us.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
Hey, if every player and every coach followed every rule, every time, they wouldn't need us.
I will take 50 - 100 games like that a year....Make for a nice season.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
How about it's cheating only if the umpire doesn't call it?
Ok, but who is the one cheating?
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I don't have a problem with either of the examples posted in any game with 2 umpires. Both of those rules involve conisderable judgment, and I do not consider it "cheating" to find out the limits of the umpire's judgment. Not much different from finding the strike zone. True, it is not against the rules to pitch a ball, but, still, there is a penalty for it of sorts.

Now, in 1 umpire games, I don't consider it to be testing the limits of umpire judgment, but rather trying to get away with something because the umpire cannot see it clearly. I get very annoyed with that.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From the 2006 NCAA Softball Rules:

Coaches are expected to be leaders and must comply with the following
principles and ethics:

e. Comply wholeheartedly with the spirit and intent of the rules. The
deliberate teaching of players to violate the rules is indefensible.

Seems that says it all!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
From the 2006 NCAA Softball Rules:

Coaches are expected to be leaders and must comply with the following
principles and ethics:

e. Comply wholeheartedly with the spirit and intent of the rules. The
deliberate teaching of players to violate the rules is indefensible.

Seems that says it all!
Yeah, but now you're assuming the NCAA really means it and the coaches actually pays attention to it.

What's the penalty if a coach is shown to have taught a player to cheat?