The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 15, 2024, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Pool Play Tournament Rule

POOL PLAY RAIN FORMAT

1. Time limit clock does not stop during a rain delay.

2. If a rain delay occurs and the time limit expired, the score of the game will revert to the last full inning of play.

3. All games not played will be scored a 3-3 tie.

Scenario: After 3 innings the visitors are ahead 1-0. In the top of the 4th, visitors do not score. In the bottom of the 4th, home team scores 2 runs and rain halts the game with home team now ahead, but no outs in the bottom of the 4th. It rains long enough for time to expire.

What will the final score of the game be?
Old Mon Jul 15, 2024, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

the score of the game will revert to the last full inning of play

OR, is it considered "not played" because of not 5 innings?
Old Tue Jul 16, 2024, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

In pool play, we've had many games not go 4.5 or 5 innings when using a time limit of 75 or 80 minutes.

Some tournaments call for "drop dead" time limit or "finish the inning" time limit.

With "drop dead", if home team is ahead at that point, game is over. If home team was trailing and didn't get the benefit of their last at bat, score reverts to last complete inning.

"Finish the inning" uses similar logic but allows the trailing team their last chance to take a lead in the game. If visitors take the lead, home team gets their shot to tie or win the game.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2024, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I think "drop dead" never should be used.

The term "no new inning" is much better than "finish the inning"; because some people are misled by "finish". "No new inning" applies the rule which always exists, home team ahead in the bottom of an inning, game over instantly.

The effect is essentially the same as "drop dead" for that circumstance, but only for home team ahead in the bottom of an inning.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2024, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil4 View Post
I think "drop dead" never should be used.

The term "no new inning" is much better than "finish the inning"; because some people are misled by "finish". "No new inning" applies the rule which always exists, home team ahead in the bottom of an inning, game over instantly.

The effect is essentially the same as "drop dead" for that circumstance, but only for home team ahead in the bottom of an inning.
I agree with the "finish the inning" opinion you state. Over the years we've had debates and/or arguments with coaches who want to increase their team's run differential. Wording has been added to some tournament rules that state if the home team is ahead when time expires, that the game is over at that point.

I did work a tournament recently where scorers and coaches either didn't know or didn't care that their team had reached the mercy number. So a game that should have ended with the 12-run mercy ended up being reported as 16-0.

With rare exception, we typically use the run rule of 12, 10, 8, after 3, 4, or 5 innings, respectively.

The heat here recently has been kicking our collective butts. I don't know how guys/gals do it in the south.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Tue Jul 16, 2024 at 12:08pm. Reason: Clarity
Old Tue Jul 16, 2024, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

"Over the years we've had debates and/or arguments with coaches who want to increase their team's run differential. Wording has been added to some tournament rules that state if the home team is ahead when time expires, that the game is over at that point."

Good point!
Old Tue Jul 16, 2024, 08:12pm
Administrator

TDs Do Not Know Their Own Tournament Rules.

I know my comment is about a basketball tournament but it is very germane to the Run Rule in Baseball and Softball tournaments.

Early 2000s, I do not remember the exact year but I am officiating in the YOBA Boys' National Championship Tournament (13U or 14U Division). YBOA uses NFHS Basketball Rules. NFHS Rules specifically state that if there is a Foul the Game ends immediately after Foul is committed, if the Penalty is the awarding of FTs, the FTs will only be Attempted if they will have a bearing on the outcome of the Game. The YBOA Point Differential is a maximum of 15 Points per Game.

I am the R. Team A is leading by 10 or 12 points when B1 commits a PF against A1 who is in the Act of Shooting just before the Horn sounds to end the 4th QT. My Partner, who is the U, calls the PF and before I could stop her, she announces for the entire gym to hear that A1 will shoot two FTs. I tell her that we do not shoot the FTs because they will not affect the outcome of the game but A-HC wants A1 to Attempt the FTs because of the Rule Differential and my Partner agrees with A-HC. I both of them that YBOA uses NFHS Basketball Rule: That means no FTs and the Game is over.

I have the next game off. During the next game A-HC convinces that Site Director (a college student) to get the TD on the phone so that he can plead his case. Eventually, I am on the phone with the TD reading to him his own Tournament Rules which state NFHS Basketball Rules are the govern the Tournament and per his own Tournament Rules the Game ended with the PF by B1 and no FTs are attempted and I reminded the TD that I am a Rules Interpreter. The TD's response: "I do not care about the Rules, when the current game is over you are going to award A1 two FTs."

I told my Partner that she can supervise A1's FTs because I am going to be in the Dressing Room until it is time to start the next game.

The next year YBOA amended its Tournament Rules to require the FTs to be Attempted.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 17, 2024, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Do any of these tournaments adopt a double forfeit rule for games not completed?
Old Wed Jul 17, 2024, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Do any of these tournaments adopt a double forfeit rule for games not completed?
I can't speak to other locales tournament rules, but I think in our area, a double forfeit would only occur if both teams did not have enough players to start the game.

In the case of weather/field conditions, the rule stated in the OP is:

All games not played will be scored a 3-3 tie.

This apparently would be used to determine seeding for Sunday elimination play or to determine a tournament winner in the event Sunday is a wash out.