View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 16, 2024, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil4 View Post
I think "drop dead" never should be used.

The term "no new inning" is much better than "finish the inning"; because some people are misled by "finish". "No new inning" applies the rule which always exists, home team ahead in the bottom of an inning, game over instantly.

The effect is essentially the same as "drop dead" for that circumstance, but only for home team ahead in the bottom of an inning.
I agree with the "finish the inning" opinion you state. Over the years we've had debates and/or arguments with coaches who want to increase their team's run differential. Wording has been added to some tournament rules that state if the home team is ahead when time expires, that the game is over at that point.

I did work a tournament recently where scorers and coaches either didn't know or didn't care that their team had reached the mercy number. So a game that should have ended with the 12-run mercy ended up being reported as 16-0.

With rare exception, we typically use the run rule of 12, 10, 8, after 3, 4, or 5 innings, respectively.

The heat here recently has been kicking our collective butts. I don't know how guys/gals do it in the south.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Tue Jul 16, 2024 at 12:08pm. Reason: Clarity