View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 16, 2024, 08:12pm
Administrator

TDs Do Not Know Their Own Tournament Rules.

I know my comment is about a basketball tournament but it is very germane to the Run Rule in Baseball and Softball tournaments.

Early 2000s, I do not remember the exact year but I am officiating in the YOBA Boys' National Championship Tournament (13U or 14U Division). YBOA uses NFHS Basketball Rules. NFHS Rules specifically state that if there is a Foul the Game ends immediately after Foul is committed, if the Penalty is the awarding of FTs, the FTs will only be Attempted if they will have a bearing on the outcome of the Game. The YBOA Point Differential is a maximum of 15 Points per Game.

I am the R. Team A is leading by 10 or 12 points when B1 commits a PF against A1 who is in the Act of Shooting just before the Horn sounds to end the 4th QT. My Partner, who is the U, calls the PF and before I could stop her, she announces for the entire gym to hear that A1 will shoot two FTs. I tell her that we do not shoot the FTs because they will not affect the outcome of the game but A-HC wants A1 to Attempt the FTs because of the Rule Differential and my Partner agrees with A-HC. I both of them that YBOA uses NFHS Basketball Rule: That means no FTs and the Game is over.

I have the next game off. During the next game A-HC convinces that Site Director (a college student) to get the TD on the phone so that he can plead his case. Eventually, I am on the phone with the TD reading to him his own Tournament Rules which state NFHS Basketball Rules are the govern the Tournament and per his own Tournament Rules the Game ended with the PF by B1 and no FTs are attempted and I reminded the TD that I am a Rules Interpreter. The TD's response: "I do not care about the Rules, when the current game is over you are going to award A1 two FTs."

I told my Partner that she can supervise A1's FTs because I am going to be in the Dressing Room until it is time to start the next game.

The next year YBOA amended its Tournament Rules to require the FTs to be Attempted.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio