The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 11, 2018, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Charged Conference

NFHS game, catcher asks for time and goes out to talk with her pitcher. At the same time the offensive coach at 3rd calls his batter and runner who was at 2nd over for a conference.

Question?
Since the catcher-pitcher meeting is not a charged conference, would/could you charge the offensive coach a charged conference, since it was between a coach and players?

This was discussed at a SB meeting. Could not find any reference to this situation in the rule book or case book.

I have never charged a coach for this.

Follow up: Rule 3-7-3..."When either team has a charged conference, the other team may also have a conference which is not charged...."
As I said the defensive meeting was not a charged conference.

Last edited by Blueplate; Wed Apr 11, 2018 at 08:24pm.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2018, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

As long as the offensive team does not delay the game once the defense has finished, no it is not a charged conference.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

In HS/USA softball, this is not an offensive conference as the defense requested the timeout. In NCAA, runners may not leave the vicinity of their bases during an uncharged timeout.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 01:20pm
Stirrer of the Pot

The primary purpose for limiting conferences in amateur baseball and softball is to minimize delays in the flow of the game. So if there's already going to be an appreciable delay because the umpires have granted Time to the defense for a discussion, or to take a substitution, or to deal with an injury, etc., etc., then there is no problem for the offense to have meet as well.

As teebob mentioned, the NCAA won't allow runners to vacate their bases for delays involving player-only meetings by the defense, or when the PU is taking a substitution from either team. In those cases should the runners go to meet with a coach in the coach's box, it is an offensive conference. I've been told the reason why is because runners tend to still be trotting back to their bases when play is about to be resumed. But that only applies to base runners. There is no problem when the batter goes to talk to a base coach in these cases.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueplate View Post
NFHS game, catcher asks for time and goes out to talk with her pitcher. At the same time the offensive coach at 3rd calls his batter and runner who was at 2nd over for a conference.

Question?
Since the catcher-pitcher meeting is not a charged conference, would/could you charge the offensive coach a charged conference, since it was between a coach and players?

This was discussed at a SB meeting. Could not find any reference to this situation in the rule book or case book.

I have never charged a coach for this.

Follow up: Rule 3-7-3..."When either team has a charged conference, the other team may also have a conference which is not charged...."
As I said the defensive meeting was not a charged conference.
No it would not be a charged time out on the offense because you granted time out for the defense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

Charge a offensive conference any time a coach meets with more than just the batter it’s a conference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbendon View Post
Charge a offensive conference any time a coach meets with more than just the batter it’s a conference

Citations, please
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

Who the coach meets with is irrelevant, batters can have conferences, too.
Regardless of who called the time out, the other team can meet, as long as the timing coincides.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Citations, please

3-7art3
We can’t let the offense conference (players off base)every time the catcher goes to the mound with out a charge.

Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

3-7-3 says nothing about restricting runners to a base during a defensive timeout. It also explicitly permits the offense to hold a conference during a charged defensive conference.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

There is no charged defensive conference that’s what we’re debating.

Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There is nothing in the rule restricting runners to their bases during any time out. And no, it is not a charged conference if they do meet during a defensive timeout. I'm pretty sure there is even a test question on the subject.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's just part of the rule that grants the other team a conference. Before you get to that point, read the definition of a charged conference (under rule 2).

It says that a charged conference is when a team "asks for and is granted time out to meet with team personnel".

In the scenario being debated, which team asked for time out? Which team did not? Which one of those meets the charged conference definition?
Old Sat Apr 14, 2018, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
That's just part of the rule that grants the other team a conference. Before you get to that point, read the definition of a charged conference (under rule 2).

It says that a charged conference is when a team "asks for and is granted time out to meet with team personnel".
Not really. The rule has a quantifier that notes it is when a coach or bench/dugout personnel request and is granted time. That did not happen in this case
Quote:

In the scenario being debated, which team asked for time out? Which team did not? Which one of those meets the charged conference definition?
Being granted time doesn't make a conference. In this case, there was no charged conference to be had.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2018, 02:59pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
So the batter strokes a foul ball deep into the left field corner. As F7 goes down there to retrieve the ball, the first base coach calls the runner from second over to near first base to tell her something. Then she heads back to second base and is standing on it well before the ball is returned to F1 in the circle. Should that be an offensive conference?

F8 is having trouble with the setting sun, so she requests Time to run over to the dugout to get a visor and/or some sunglasses. During that time, the third base coach calls the batter up to her to whisper a few words into her ear. By the time F8 is back in position, the batter is in the box ready for the next pitch.

Runner at third breaks for home on an attempted squeeze, but the batter swings away and fouls the ball over the backstop, and the PU has no replacements in his/her bag. As he/she goes to the home dugout to get a new ball, the runner at third returns and stands in the third base box to talk to the coach about signals. She stays there until the PU hands a new ball to F2, and F2 throws it to F1. F1 goes to the back of the circle to make a quick grab of the rosin bag, and as she heads toward the pitcher's plate, the runner returns to third base.

Don't get hung up on the fact that a runner vacates her base or a batter leaves the area of the batter's box when there's a significant delay in the game or the defense requests Time to do something that doesn't meet the definition of a defensive conference. When there is a delay or Time is granted to the defense, nothing in the rules (with the exception of NCAA) states that offensive players cannot talk to coaches.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker