The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
And NOW we get back to my original thought...it's not necessary, except for the fact that NFHS rules require it. I missed this test question. I answered False.
Just goes to show that you are smarter than the NFHS rule makers.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

If I recall correctly, when nfhs made the new rule about a warning being issued and restrictions for adding players after the lineup was submitted they said while it had been common courtesy to list all your players, many coaches had been needlessly delaying games by listing only thier starters.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
...IMO, it just isn't necessary to have an entire roster listed on a line-up card. Also, I believe it is ludicrous to penalize a team in any manner for adding a roster player to the line-up card.
Cause: penalizing the coach / team for adding players to the line-up card after the line-up becomes official.

Effect: The entire roster is listed on the line-up card.

Final effect: none, except there are now a lot of names on the line-up card.

IDK what the impetus was for adding the rule for warnings, etc., for making changes to the line-up, but in HS ball, using the JV team as an extended roster for the varsity team had been going on well before that. Hence, the long roster on the line-up card was a predictable response by some coaches.

Not a big deal, IMO.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
If I recall correctly, when nfhs made the new rule about a warning being issued and restrictions for adding players after the lineup was submitted they said while it had been common courtesy to list all your players, many coaches had been needlessly delaying games by listing only thier starters.
What delay?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
What delay?
The delay of the game in having to add the player to the lineup card, then report it to the other team and give them time to also add it to their lineup card and scorebook as well as to the official book.

If a coach only listed his 9 starters but actually had 15 or more players and used all of them spread out during the game it would take a considerable amount of time to add each of those players one at a time.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2018, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
The delay of the game in having to add the player to the lineup card, then report it to the other team and give them time to also add it to their lineup card and scorebook as well as to the official book.

If a coach only listed his 9 starters but actually had 15 or more players and used all of them spread out during the game it would take a considerable amount of time to add each of those players one at a time.
I've never experienced such a delay. The coach offers the name of the sub, I write it down, report to scorekeeper and give it to the opposing team. I'm not delaying the game for the opposition to do their paperwork.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my book handy and haven't done games in a couple years that use NFHS rules, but I have a question.

Team A lists 14 players on their roster and submits a line up with 9 players and 5 subs (everyone on the roster is listed). Only 11 players are present due to illness or other commitments for team A players. In addition, one player who is present has a cast on her arm for a broken arm. In the second inning, player A becomes injured and can't return to the game. The team uses the remaining healthy player to sub for that injured player. In the 5th inning another player is injured and can't return. The team still has one player listed on the lineup card who is present, plus three on the lineup card who aren't present. How is this handled. If the rule indeed requires you to list everyone on your roster you could run into this problem of rostered players not being available.

I know what I've done in both Softball and volleyball (which also uses preprinted rosters on most occasions) is to have the ill / absent / injured players crossed off. This allows me to know who is actually present and available to participate. The player is still on the roster for the purposes team introductions, ect, but is not on the "active" roster for the game.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2018, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I don't have my book handy and haven't done games in a couple years that use NFHS rules, but I have a question.

Team A lists 14 players on their roster and submits a line up with 9 players and 5 subs (everyone on the roster is listed). Only 11 players are present due to illness or other commitments for team A players. In addition, one player who is present has a cast on her arm for a broken arm. In the second inning, player A becomes injured and can't return to the game. The team uses the remaining healthy player to sub for that injured player. In the 5th inning another player is injured and can't return. The team still has one player listed on the lineup card who is present, plus three on the lineup card who aren't present. How is this handled. If the rule indeed requires you to list everyone on your roster you could run into this problem of rostered players not being available.

I know what I've done in both Softball and volleyball (which also uses preprinted rosters on most occasions) is to have the ill / absent / injured players crossed off. This allows me to know who is actually present and available to participate. The player is still on the roster for the purposes team introductions, ect, but is not on the "active" roster for the game.
The three absent are just that, absent, not relevant to the game or the sitch.

The broken arm player may enter as a sub for the second injury, if padded properly, or become ineligible for the game. The team then plays shorthanded. Unless I misread something.

Having all 14 listed means nothing if they are not there.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2018, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And NOW we get back to my original thought...it's not necessary, except for the fact that NFHS rules require it. I missed this test question. I answered False.
Hey, teebob,

Did you know right away which question(s) you got wrong? In NH, we take our test on-line. I took mine today and got a 98. But I don't know which 2 questions I got wrong. I won't be able to check my results for about a month.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

At the end of the online test, it should tell you which rules were applied in the ones you get wrong.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the end of the online test, it should tell you which rules were applied in the ones you get wrong.
I didn't see any rules references. Not in the screen that came up after my submission or on the e-mail confirmation they send out. I only got the score percentage.

Once our test period is complete, we can go in and "review" the test. At that point I'll know which questions I got wrong. They might include references at that point.

I recorded all my rule references on the paper copy of the test that was handed out at our annual meeting. Curious to know if I actually got them wrong or flubbed up picking the incorrect circle on the test.

I'm assuming there are no "mistake" answers on this test like there is on the USA exam.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_in_blu View Post
i'm assuming there are no "mistake" answers on this test like there is on the usa exam.
ha !
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not on ours. At the mercy of higher-ups to allow us to look after testing closes.