The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NHFS - Lineup card must list all players on a team's roster. True or false? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103498-nhfs-lineup-card-must-list-all-players-teams-roster-true-false.html)

teebob21 Thu Feb 08, 2018 05:52pm

NHFS - Lineup card must list all players on a team's roster. True or false?

Looking for opinions. I disagree with the Fed test writers, but I'd like to hear what the board says.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Feb 08, 2018 06:10pm

At the risk of incurring a warning, the coach might not include every eligible substitute.

If a player wasn't scheduled to be at the game showed up mid-game, the coach could add her name to the lineup card. And that would result in a warning. If another player showed up or there was some other lineup card violation, the coach would be restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game.

So just reading Article 3 as is, I'd say the answer would be yes to including everyone. But I'll second your concept that sometimes we can argue for different answers.

The penalty is rather mild, considering that NFHS stresses safety and participation for the sport.

We had a question regarding a suspended game from early in the season that was continued late in the season. We were told not to penalize for additions to the lineup cards when the game resumed. Players might not be available anymore due to various reasons, and new players may have been added. E.G. some players brought up from JV to Varsity.

RKBUmp Thu Feb 08, 2018 07:51pm

Rule 3 article 3 answers your question. The lineup card shall include each starting player and each eligible substitute.

As stated above, the coach can choose to not list all the players but if he tries to add them.later there are penalties associated with it.

teebob21 Thu Feb 08, 2018 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1016631)
Rule 3 article 3 answers your question. The lineup card shall include each starting player and each eligible substitute.

As stated above, the coach can choose to not list all the players but if he tries to add them.later there are penalties associated with it.

Player Suzy Q is out sick. She is on my team's roster. As a coach, I do not put her on the lineup card. She does not play. Is this legal?

If so, it would seem that the statement "all players on the roster must be on the lineup card" is false. Even if I choose to add her later, all I earn is a team warning. If I'm overthinking this, just tell me.

RKBUmp Thu Feb 08, 2018 08:53pm

You are over thinking it, the answer is true.

Dakota Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:36pm

NFHS tests are notorious for "almost true" or "it depends" questions (which, by logic, means false) where the "correct" answer is "true".

If you can find a sentence in the NFHS rule book that is nearly word for word with the question, the answer is "true" regardless of exceptions or logic.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:16am

If a coach handed you a line-up card with 13 names on it and there were only 9 players present, are you accepting it?

Duke Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31pm

Yes I accept it.

CecilOne Fri Feb 09, 2018 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1016654)
If a coach handed you a line-up card with 13 names on it and there were only 9 players present, are you accepting it?

There are a lot of those, especially with coaches who use preprinted lineup forms and fill in that day's players.

jmkupka Fri Feb 09, 2018 02:04pm

don't think I've ever counted the number of players in the dugout....

IRISHMAFIA Fri Feb 09, 2018 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 1016675)
don't think I've ever counted the number of players in the dugout....

Then how do you know they have enough to start?

Dakota Mon Feb 12, 2018 09:50am

Quote:

Absolutely. It is usual that the JV team is playing on another near-by field and the coach will give some of the JV players varsity playing time if conditions allow or require. So, it is usual that some of the listed subs are on the JV team.

Now, admittedly, having ALL of the subs on the JV team would not be expected, but I'd allow it.

SNIPERBBB Mon Feb 12, 2018 08:27pm

Quote:

I've always told coaches that unless you have a participation rule from the league or school, list your entire school roster if you have to as you never get penalized by having too many players listed. Especially if you have to suspend a game to be resumed as you cannot change the lineup(may vary state to state here).

IRISHMAFIA Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43pm

Not a fan. Ever have a coach try to sub someone who was not there?

IMO, it just isn't necessary to have an entire roster listed on a line-up card. Also, I believe it is ludicrous to penalize a team in any manner for adding a roster player to the line-up card.

teebob21 Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1016979)
Not a fan. Ever have a coach try to sub someone who was not there?

IMO, it just isn't necessary to have an entire roster listed on a line-up card. Also, I believe it is ludicrous to penalize a team in any manner for adding a roster player to the line-up card.

And NOW we get back to my original thought...it's not necessary, except for the fact that NFHS rules require it. I missed this test question. I answered False.