The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Softball Rule Changes for 2018

The new rule changes can be found at:

http://sup.arbitersports.com/Groups/...s_20170817.pdf

Last edited by Scooby; Thu Aug 17, 2017 at 01:47pm.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Some highlights:

Illegal pitches no longer advance the base runners.

Projected subs are allowed but not projected re-entries.

The batter is out if any part of her foot is on the ground outside the batters box when her bat contacts the pitched ball. (even if part of her foot is in the batters box.)

A ball that has been ruled foul can be changed to a home run, ground rule double or other dead ball award.

Teams are no longer allowed to huddle after outs.

Last edited by Scooby; Fri Aug 18, 2017 at 01:41am.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

You will probably see a lot more illegal pitches called with the penalty reduced to just a ball on the batter.
I think the tough change is calling a batter out if any part of their foot is outside the batter's box when contact is made. This will take a while for batter's to get accustomed to.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

All in all, I think these are good changes. The runner's lane is back, and OBS now requires possession of the ball in order to block the base path. Several of these rules changes bring NCAA back in harmony with USA/ASA and Fed.

The pitching change might be a tough one if not enforced consistently. The rule now requires a "noticeable stop of two seconds" when the hands come together. I look forward to some clarity at camp this fall...are we talking a baseball-style stop, or can the hands keep moving?

That said, I expect an uptick in complaints with coaches next year, too. Time to keep improving my game management...

Last edited by teebob21; Thu Aug 17, 2017 at 03:12pm.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
All in all, I think these are good changes. The runner's lane is back, and OBS now requires possession of the ball in order to block the base path. Several of these rules changes bring NCAA back in harmony with USA/ASA and Fed.
If the rule is changed to the published document:
Quote:
9.5.1 Obstruction occurs when a defensive player, not in possession of the ball or in the act of fielding a batted ball, impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitch or impedes the progress of any runner who is legally running bases on a live ball. It can be intentional or unintentional. It is obstruction if a defensive player is blocking the whole base/plate or base path without the ball and/or the runner does not have a clear path to the base/plate.
(See also Rule 12.13.)
The third sentence contradicts the first sentence, and is not necessary. The rule should have NOTHING about blocking the base. This is horrible rule writing (at its finest?). I hope the sentence is removed (but it won't be), and now every play at the plate is "obstruction."

Sure, it is now in line with other codes (good thing), but the other rules (pitching, batting) are completely different than other codes.

Quote:
The pitching change might be a tough one if not enforced consistently. The rule now requires a "noticeable stop of two seconds" when the hands come together. I look forward to some clarity at camp this fall...are we talking a baseball-style stop, or can the hands keep moving?
This one is OK, if enforced correctly. The IP penalty is just plain stupid. The correct solution is the allow international style pitching.

The worst one is the batter's feet on contact. Now the entire foot has to be in the batter's box. I'm sure that won't cause any arguments.

I hope the "no huddle" expands to just not "after an out" (i.e. after the first pitch after an out). The sub rule is good as well.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Some highlights:

Illegal pitches no longer advance the base runners.
Tried to make this change in ASA a few years ago and your would think someone was asking for the first born

Quote:

Projected subs are allowed but not projected re-entries.
IMO, this is a mistake assuming they are referring to a true projected change

Quote:

The batter is out if any part of her foot is not the ground outside the batters box when her bat contacts the pitched ball. (even if part of her foot is in the batters box.)
Somebody sold them a line of bullshit on this one

Quote:
A ball that has been ruled foul can be changed to a home run, ground rule double or other dead ball award.
Should have been that way from the beginning assuming it was an obvious misapplication of a rule

Quote:
Teams are no longer allowed to huddle after outs.
Considering how we are often reminded the players are not little girls, that should be a no-brainer

Quote:
The batter-runner is out when she runs the bases in reverse order, runs intentionally into the outfield between bases or runs through first base unnecessarily into the outfield on a walk, dropped third strike or any
batted ball either to confuse opponents or to make a travesty of the game.

A runner shall not run bases in reverse order or intentionally run into the outfield between bases either to confuse the fielders or to make a travesty of the game.
This is ridiculous

Quote:
If a runner misses home plate and the fielder misses or makes no attempt to tag the runner, the umpire should
make no signal, verbal or nonverbal.
Rationale: By requiring the umpire to make the safe signal, it could be confusing to the offense and they would have no reason to think they missed home plate. By the umpire making no signal, it notifies both the offense and
defense that something more needs to occur before a ruling can be made.
IOW, the offense isn't capable to carry that responsibility of seeing and knowing how to complete the play. SMH

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu Aug 17, 2017 at 07:47pm.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The batter-runner is out when she runs the bases in reverse order, runs intentionally into the outfield between bases or runs through first base unnecessarily into the outfield on a walk, dropped third strike or any
batted ball either to confuse opponents or to make a travesty of the game.

A runner shall not run bases in reverse order or intentionally run into the outfield between bases either to confuse the fielders or to make a travesty of the game.
Wonder how this will affect the application of the LBR.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post

That said, I expect an uptick in complaints with coaches next year, too. Time to keep improving my game management...
You are either misstating or misunderstanding the pitching change; and it really isn't a change, since we were directed/required to enforce this last year by a rules interpretation. The pitcher is NOT required to stop when the hands come together (your words). The pitcher is required to make a noticeable stop of two seconds AFTER stepping on the pitcher's plate, and BEFORE bringing the hands together.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

In re: projected subs......

I think this is also badly misstated. The rule change now brings NCAA in line with every other form of softball. Previously, NCAA wouldn't allow a coach to make two offensive changes at once; they could only sub one batter at a time, as that batter came up to bat.

And NCAA would not allow you to accept a reentry for a DP at the end of an inning (when someone ran for the DP); the coach had to remember to re-enter when the DP position came up to bat. Well, but it was different if the DP played defense, then you could re-enter because she was playing defense. But if offense only, nope, cannot take that change, coach.

Not truly projected, never was, except by the dumbasses that made it more difficult than it needed to be; like ASA/USA and NFHS, you can take those subs when the coach wants to make them, as long as you are only replacing someone not currently actively playing (batting, running, playing defense).
Old Fri Aug 18, 2017, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
You are either misstating or misunderstanding the pitching change; and it really isn't a change, since we were directed/required to enforce this last year by a rules interpretation. The pitcher is NOT required to stop when the hands come together (your words). The pitcher is required to make a noticeable stop of two seconds AFTER stepping on the pitcher's plate, and BEFORE bringing the hands together.
Good point Steve. In hindsight, don't quite know what I was thinking on that part of my post.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2017, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In re: projected subs......

I think this is also badly misstated. The rule change now brings NCAA in line with every other form of softball.
IMO that depends on their definition of a projected substitution.

The wording should simply state that any change should take place when the coach desires to make that change effective. And in all cases, any change becomes effective immediately.

It is not that difficult
Old Fri Aug 18, 2017, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Baseball guy here with a couple of questions on the running lane.
In the past in baseball there was an interp that if the BR was stradling the lane, running with one foot in and one foot out, and was hit by the throw when the "out" foot was in stride and not touching the ground there would be no interference. Are you going to have to judge the same thing, where was the foot, when the throw hit the BR?
Also does softball have the "intervening play" interp? R3 is allowed to score if a play is made on her at HP and then there is a running lane violation on the following play at 1B.

Last edited by umpjim; Fri Aug 18, 2017 at 03:10pm.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2017, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Baseball guy
Also does softball have the "intervening play" interp? R3 is allowed to score if a play is made on her at HP and then there is a running lane violation on the following play at 1B.
In USA softball, a run does not score if the last out of the inning is runner out before reaching 1st.

5.5.B. No run shall score if the third out of the inning is a result of:
1. A batter-runner being called out prior to reaching first base or any other runner forced out due to the batter becoming a batter-runner.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2017, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
In USA softball, a run does not score if the last out of the inning is runner out before reaching 1st.

5.5.B. No run shall score if the third out of the inning is a result of:
1. A batter-runner being called out prior to reaching first base or any other runner forced out due to the batter becoming a batter-runner.
I was remiss in not specifying that the baseball intervening play applies with less than 2 out. So is there such an interp in SB codes? Also will you have to watch the outside foot of the runner in NCAA SB?
Old Fri Aug 18, 2017, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
[...]
The effect of the rule is: The ball is dead, the batter-runner is out, and each base runner must return to the last base occupied at the time of the pitch.