The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Who would have thought.......

Who would have thought the last game of the regular season, and a JV game no less would become the problem game of the year. Ball hit to F6, runner trucking hard for 1st head down trying to beat out the throw. Throw is off line and pulls F3 into baseline, she catches ball about 1/4 second before runner makes contact with her and both players end up on the ground. It was nothing but a train wreck, runner was never impeded, fielder had ball before contact and there was absolutely nothing malicious on the part of the runner. F3 maintained control of the ball and runner was out. Suddenly there is screaming from the stands about runner should be ejected with a retort from parents of other team. Things settle down for the moment as I see a uniformed police officer moving toward the middle of the crowd. Next batter steps into batters box and pitcher is taking signs when all of a sudden I hear F bombs and screaming going back and forth again over the play at 1st. I call time, call both coaches out and tell them to get their parents under control immediately which they do. No more incidents and we complete the game. As my partner and I are walking to the parking lot I mention I was surprised the uniformed police officer didnt step in sooner to control the situation. My partner says, ummm, he was the one who started it all.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Who would have thought the last game of the regular season, and a JV game no less would become the problem game of the year. Ball hit to F6, runner trucking hard for 1st head down trying to beat out the throw. Throw is off line and pulls F3 into baseline, she catches ball about 1/4 second before runner makes contact with her and both players end up on the ground. It was nothing but a train wreck, runner was never impeded, fielder had ball before contact and there was absolutely nothing malicious on the part of the runner. F3 maintained control of the ball and runner was out. Suddenly there is screaming from the stands about runner should be ejected with a retort from parents of other team. Things settle down for the moment as I see a uniformed police officer moving toward the middle of the crowd. Next batter steps into batters box and pitcher is taking signs when all of a sudden I hear F bombs and screaming going back and forth again over the play at 1st. I call time, call both coaches out and tell them to get their parents under control immediately which they do. No more incidents and we complete the game. As my partner and I are walking to the parking lot I mention I was surprised the uniformed police officer didnt step in sooner to control the situation. My partner says, ummm, he was the one who started it all.
Wait a minute? There is a cop in the stands and you needed to get the coaches? I would have called for the pitch. To hell with the parents and fans.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Who would have thought the last game of the regular season, and a JV game no less would become the problem game of the year. Ball hit to F6, runner trucking hard for 1st head down trying to beat out the throw. Throw is off line and pulls F3 into baseline, she catches ball about 1/4 second before runner makes contact with her and both players end up on the ground. It was nothing but a train wreck, runner was never impeded, fielder had ball before contact and there was absolutely nothing malicious on the part of the runner. F3 maintained control of the ball and runner was out. Suddenly there is screaming from the stands about runner should be ejected with a retort from parents of other team. .
Heard a very similar story, Varsity, which I almost posted. In it, the F3 ended up with a broken leg. Defense coach later sent email to all other coaches complaining about the umpires not ruling malicious. BTW, the F3 is also their #1 pitcher.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 01:50pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Heard a very similar story, Varsity, which I almost posted. In it, the F3 ended up with a broken leg. Defense coach later sent email to all other coaches complaining about the umpires not ruling malicious. BTW, the F3 is also their #1 pitcher.
And that would make the situation better how? A broken leg is a broken leg. Tough break (no pun intended), but it always floors me how coaches turn these things into umpire issues.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Neither coach said a word, both completely understood it was nothing more than a train wreck, 2 players and the ball all arriving at the same place at the same time. It was the defenses parents that were screaming for an ejection which then got a retort from the offensive teams parents. I thought the uniformed police officer watching the game would settle things down, but apparently he was the instigator in much of it.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 08:05am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Neither coach said a word, both completely understood it was nothing more than a train wreck, 2 players and the ball all arriving at the same place at the same time. It was the defenses parents that were screaming for an ejection which then got a retort from the offensive teams parents. I thought the uniformed police officer watching the game would settle things down, but apparently he was the instigator in much of it.
I would've contacted the Athletic Director of the host school and let him/her know the situation. Down here my way, the police officer at our HS games are sometimes the home team's school resource officer who is essentially permanent school staff responsible for law enforcement and law education at the campus. They do tend to become acquaintances with home team fans since they seem them so often, and can understandably take a partial view toward the outcome of the game. But they certainly should not instigate any kind of negative fan reaction. If one does, the AD needs to know.

Otherwise, contact your assignor to let him/her know what happened. This officer needs to be reprimanded for his actions at your game, and your assignor should be able to find out who needs to take action.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I would've contacted the Athletic Director of the host school and let him/her know the situation. Down here my way, the police officer at our HS games are sometimes the home team's school resource officer who is essentially permanent school staff responsible for law enforcement and law education at the campus. They do tend to become acquaintances with home team fans since they seem them so often, and can understandably take a partial view toward the outcome of the game. But they certainly should not instigate any kind of negative fan reaction. If one does, the AD needs to know.

Otherwise, contact your assignor to let him/her know what happened. This officer needs to be reprimanded for his actions at your game, and your assignor should be able to find out who needs to take action.
As the umpire, I couldn't care less what happens amongst the fans. Nor could I care less what their opinions are. For that matter, sometimes their lack of knowledge is humorous.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While protocol may differ in different locations, your first advice (contact the AD) would have you in deep crap here; your second advice (contact your assignor) a much better solution.

In my opinion and experience, individual umpires should NEVER contact the AD directly; it needs to follow the appropriate chain. You tell the assignor, and let that person/association address the school (it isn't YOUR contract!!!), and the state association, if appropriate or necessary. Here (Georgia), individual umpires do not submit game reports or ejection reports to the state; they must be submitted by the association officer designated.

If you (an individual) take that on yourself, expect to be redlined/blacklisted from that school for the foreseeable future. Let the system work. If it doesn't, THEN follow your instincts.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 08:43am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
While protocol may differ in different locations, your first advice (contact the AD) would have you in deep crap here; your second advice (contact your assignor) a much better solution.

In my opinion and experience, individual umpires should NEVER contact the AD directly; it needs to follow the appropriate chain.
Steve, I'm talking about in real time during the game. There should be an AD on site to help deal with fans and other issues on the other side of the fences. If I have a problem with the local beat cop in the stands during the game, I'm not contacting my assignor to, in turn, contact the AD. The AD should be there and should take appropriate action. I wouldn't put that expectation on the home head coach.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Steve, I'm talking about in real time during the game. There should be an AD on site to help deal with fans and other issues on the other side of the fences. If I have a problem with the local beat cop in the stands during the game, I'm not contacting my assignor to, in turn, contact the AD. The AD should be there and should take appropriate action. I wouldn't put that expectation on the home head coach.
But still, talk to the coach and let him/her communicate with the appropriate administrator.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 09:37am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
But still, talk to the coach and let him/her communicate with the appropriate administrator.
I have no idea if the coach is going to communicate what I want communicated to the AD. Remember, the coach is probably also a bit upset with the call. He/she may not bother to look for the AD, or pass on my concerns. I prefer to talk to the AD directly.

It also sends a message to those watching when they see me conversing with the AD.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In real time there would be a game administrator; in our experience, that is most often NOT the school's Athletic Director (he's at baseball, spring football, almost never at a softball game). Perhaps you meant game administrator; I read you contacting the school and the coach's boss, and that just isn't what an individual needs to be doing. Follow up needs to be done by administrator of umpires to administrator for the school (AD).

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Thu Apr 27, 2017 at 09:47am.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 10:01am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In real time there would be a game administrator; in our experience, that is most often NOT the school's Athletic Director (he's at baseball, spring football, almost never at a softball game). Perhaps you meant game administrator; I read you contacting the school and the coach's boss, and that just isn't what an individual needs to be doing. Follow up needs to be done by administrator of umpires to administrator for the school (AD).
Yeah, that's who I really meant. Most often here in my neck, the game administrator is the AD. When there are both baseball and softball games going on at the same time, he/she covers both since the fields are usually right next to each other. And at schools where they're not co-located, he/she will typically be available via golf cart.