View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I would've contacted the Athletic Director of the host school and let him/her know the situation. Down here my way, the police officer at our HS games are sometimes the home team's school resource officer who is essentially permanent school staff responsible for law enforcement and law education at the campus. They do tend to become acquaintances with home team fans since they seem them so often, and can understandably take a partial view toward the outcome of the game. But they certainly should not instigate any kind of negative fan reaction. If one does, the AD needs to know.

Otherwise, contact your assignor to let him/her know what happened. This officer needs to be reprimanded for his actions at your game, and your assignor should be able to find out who needs to take action.
While protocol may differ in different locations, your first advice (contact the AD) would have you in deep crap here; your second advice (contact your assignor) a much better solution.

In my opinion and experience, individual umpires should NEVER contact the AD directly; it needs to follow the appropriate chain. You tell the assignor, and let that person/association address the school (it isn't YOUR contract!!!), and the state association, if appropriate or necessary. Here (Georgia), individual umpires do not submit game reports or ejection reports to the state; they must be submitted by the association officer designated.

If you (an individual) take that on yourself, expect to be redlined/blacklisted from that school for the foreseeable future. Let the system work. If it doesn't, THEN follow your instincts.